Rooster With an eye injury after raccoon attack

Birdsong 82

Free Ranging
6 Years
Aug 17, 2017
Virginia
Last night I had a raccoon rip open piece of wood that I guess I hadn’t realized it slightly rotted on side of the chicken coop. Out of the three in the coop and that’s the only one he got in one coop he only got one. Still broke my heart. And the rooster is visibly upset. And kind of beat up. He’s missing his tail feathers and some wounds on his cone that will all heal with time but one of his eyes is swollen shut. When I found all of this early in the morning he looked like he was trying to open it a little but ever since he’s had it closed. He’s just acting kind of weird but I’m sure that’s because of everything that happened last night. Almost like he’s falling asleep a little when he standing every once in a while but I’m sure he tired
2C6672D4-37ED-404A-80D1-4FA5C9D67CBE.jpeg
0179E3E9-3C52-402D-9C91-31DFCB75CA8F.jpeg

I just don’t know if I can put anything on his eye. And I know it’s got to be painful. Roosters not show pain but that has to be painful

I just don’t know if I can put anything on his eye. And I know it’s got to be painful. Roosters not show pain but that has to be painful
You can rinse his eye with saline solution. There are a number of general antibiotics you can use on him, some of those might be able to also treat any infection he got in his eye? I think there's also eye drops for birds but I forget the details.

You can use Vetericyn to spray and clean any wounds in his flesh (not in the eye), also you can use regular Neosporin (NO pain relief neosporin - the caine drug in it is poisonous to birds) to slather on all his skin wounds to help take care of some of the infection. There's a fish antibiotic you can use (Aqua-Mox) that should be readily available over the counter - there should be dosage and application method on here for chickens if you search this site.

My Internet connection is poor I just got all these suggestions now and thank you so much for that I’ve been having to collect the chickens to put them back in the coop because they were too scared to go back in. I resecured an extra secured everything. I have lots of different antibiotics for chickens but I just was a little worried about what to put on his eye. I’m looking up those eyedrops tonight because I don’t want that to become infected everything else has been cleaned. As well as he would let me clean it and treat it. He’s not at all aggressive he’s just not fond of being touched. But he was a little easier than usual I think he realized that we need to work together right now. I’ll give him some egg and or tuna in the morning. I do keep baby aspirin around for the goats but I wasn’t sure how much for a chicken so I’ll see if he’ll take it for my hand if not I’ll look up the method

I decided to go medieval when I fixed the coop today
E94DC693-8F50-4A52-98BD-4567081C8C94.png
in the picture I wasn’t quite done yet but I think he get the idea

Along with I being in pain he just seems so distraught. But we lost Elvira. That was like his favorite main girl. And he was frantic when I had to pick him up and actually place him in the chicken coop tonight I’ve never seen my rooster scared before. He’s been through this kind of thing in the past but I’ve just never seen him frightened like this. I felt terrible stressing him out but I couldn’t let him sleep where he decided to. just wasn’t safe.

Back
Top Bottom