1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster with bad feet - what to do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by easyvilleacres, Nov 17, 2015.

1. easyvilleacres

easyvilleacres Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2015
    SW MO
    Our new flock is 20 weeks old today. One of the roosters (BCM) has always had crooked toes. I did a little research a while ago and found that this is usually an incubation issue - too crowded.
    But recently his feet have been looking inflamed or irritated in a way (see photo). They seem just about to crack and bleed, and you can tell he's beginning to have a hard time walking. Maybe y'all could shed some light on this issue for us?
    If it's some kind of genetic disease I certainly do not want it being passed on and have no problem with butchering him .... but if it's not, how can we help him?
    Thank you!
    [​IMG]

2. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
  3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Red skin between toes and on legs can be normal in fertile chickens. I would make some changes in the walking area, since sharp rocks can cause bumblefoot. Mulch or pine shavings would be softer on the feet. Look for any sores on the footpads, and prevent wet areas.

5. easyvilleacres

easyvilleacres Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2015
    SW MO
    It does not seem like scaly leg mites but I will certainly keep it in mind, thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by