Rooster with bad hips

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 4roses, Jan 16, 2017.

1. 4roses

4roses New Egg

Jan 16, 2017
    Hello,

I'm new to chicken rearing but after buying our new house my wife talked me into it and I love watching them hunt and peck, chase crickets and eat our lemon grass (which they love).

Our only concern is one of our chicks is a rooster which is a problem on its own but even more alarming are his hips. We could handle re-homing him if he was healthy.

He looks like his legs are attached to the side of his body vs underneath him and it's very obvious that it hurts him to walk or at least it's very difficult. He wants to move around but has gotten more and more sedentary.

Any help on if this is fixable or any sort of advice on how to help him would be greatly appreciated.

Here are some pictures of the poor guy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Your rooster may be suffering from a leg bone deformity called varus valgus deformity. Try Googling that and look at the images. One type looks like bow leg, and the other has a knock kneed appearance. It can affect one or both legs. I would not breed him, but hopefully he can live life as a pet.

3. 4roses

4roses New Egg

Jan 16, 2017
    Thank you so much! After you gave us the name he definitely has a varus deformity, no doubt about it.

Thanks!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You're welcome, glad that I could help. Sorry about the problem though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by