Rooster with bare back

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by carollight, May 29, 2016.

1. carollight

carollight New Egg

Jun 21, 2015
    Hello, I have one Americana rooster with about 30 hens. I have put saddles on several of the hens because their back are bare from mating. Now the rooster's back is getting bare in front of his tail, I don't think he is molting in late May. He takes dust baths along with the girls. Might a hen be dominating him? How do I check to be sure its not mites? Thanks for your help!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I've seen some hens sometimes pluck feathers off the roosters. I haven't been able to figure out why, it does seem to be done in a form of affection. I wouldn't worry about it.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!
    Wonders if the bird are eating the feathers? Might need more protein.

How to check them over real well for mites and/or lice:
    Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.
    Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.
    Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.
    If I find bugs then I use a poultry dust with permethrin, feathers still won't grow back until a molt tho.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  4. carollight

carollight New Egg

Jun 21, 2015
    Thank you for the input! I will check for mites and give some extra protein. Hopefully it is just a sign of affection from the ladies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by