Rooster with blue comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wjmiller, Mar 20, 2013.

1. wjmiller

wjmiller Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2013
    I have 2 buff orp roosters I had to separate they wouldnt leave my hens alone . They were healthy and beautiful. this morning both of them have combs that are starting to turn blue on the tips. They eat and have no breathing problems yet.It is not cold enough to be frost bite.What could it be what can I do please help. Thanks

2. ArtGirl

ArtGirl Chicken crazy

My roosters sometimes have that. It's funny because they even get it in the summer when it's 50 to 60 degrees at night[​IMG]. It usually goes away in a couple days and doesn't seem to cause and trouble[​IMG].

3. wjmiller

Mar 11, 2013
    Thanks maybe hes stressed cause he doesnt want to eat now .

4. ArtGirl

ArtGirl Chicken crazy

Something that helps A LOT is electrolytes (save a chick) you can buy it at your local feed store for about 50 cents.
    Our polish hen got attacked by a raccoon and it rip the front of her opened. You could see some bone and she wasn't eating and barley drinking. So we decided to give her some of the save a chick and within the next two days she was eating, drinking and had a bunch of energy[​IMG].

5. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    The treatment for blue comb is the same treatment for canker. One 250 mg Fish-Zole (Metronidazole) tab 1x per day for 5 days and half a tab for Bantams.

6. wjmiller

Mar 11, 2013
    Thanks for all the help

7. wjmiller

Mar 11, 2013
    I didnt think aBout that thanks i will give him some saVe a chick i have some

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by