Rooster with broken claw, swollen foot, possibly infected

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jbs, Feb 8, 2015.

1. jbs

jbs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Maryland
    I have a rooster that had a sort of twisted back toe, with his claw growing straight up, towards the sky. I only noticed it a few weeks ago because that claw had gotten pretty long (more than 1 inch), and I made a note that I'd have to catch him soon and cut that claw. But the next time I saw him, that claw had broken off entirely. I've been watching him and at first he seemed ok, but the toe swelled up, and now his entire foot is swollen.

I'm assuming that he should be treated with antibiotics, and I'm hoping that someone here can advise me on what to treat him with, and if it's an antibiotic, if there's somewhere I can obtain it online. I will take him to the vet if I need to, but I JUST got finished dealing with a sick hen that I did take to the vet, and after two weeks of various antibiotics, and syringe feeding her in my bathtub, I finally put her down this morning. I'm hoping to avoid the expense of another vet visit.

My rooster is walking on his swollen foot ok. When I noticed the claw broken off I should have tried to clean his foot and put on Blu Kote or something like that, but I was so busy dealing with my sick hen that the rest of the flock got neglected. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. jbs

jbs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Maryland
    I found a few sources of generic Baytril, which seems like my best bet. My regular vet has prescribed this drug many times over the years for various dog and cat issues. My injured chicken is a rooster so I'm not concerned about eggs and withdrawal times. I haven't had much luck with avian vets so I hope the Enrofloxyn does the trick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by