Rooster with broken wings

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dianehodges, Feb 14, 2012.

1. dianehodges

dianehodges Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2010
    I don't know how this happened but I think my rooster has 2 broken wings Could this have happened while he was having his way with the hens? Should I bind the wings and separate him from the flock He seems to be eating and drinking well Is it possible they could heal without binding and separation He has also stopped crowing

2. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Hi dianehodges,

he may have hurt himself fighting off a predator to protect the hens.

Can I ask why you feel the wings are broken? Are they dragging? Is there blood or other signs of damage or bruising?

It's a little unusual for both wings to be broken at once even in the case of a predator. A really thorough examination would be a good idea, looking for all signs of trouble (mucky bottom, respiratory signs like mucus from the nostrils, blood in droppings, loss of weight around breastbone, and of course feel along each wing).

A photo might also be useful for others to see what you're looking at. But if you're sure the wings are broken it would be worth researching online to see how to strap them. A vet would be a good idea if that's not out of the question financially.

Best of luck, sorry I'm no expert.

Erica

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by