Rooster with bubbling eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ecrewe, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Ecrewe

Ecrewe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2016
  2. Ecrewe

Aug 29, 2016
    The roosters other eye seems normal...[​IMG]

3. Sue Gremlin

Sue Gremlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2013
    Yes, a bubbling eye can be a respiratory problem. What comes to mind is mycoplasma, which is a pretty ubiquitous organism.

Separating him is a good move. You may need to treat him with an antibiotic labeled for chicken respiratory disease, you can find these at most any farm and feed store.

1 person likes this.
  4. Ecrewe

Aug 29, 2016
    Hi Sue

Thank you for your advice.
    I live in South Africa and I haven't found any stores that sell Chicken friendly medication. Do you know of any home remedies that might help or perhaps something I could buy from a normal pharmacy.

Ps could it be another disease other than respiratory as his breathing sounds normal?

5. theuglychick

theuglychick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2016
    Louisiana

I JUST dealt with this. The bubble eyes is a definite sign of Mycoplasma Gallusepticum. I don't know if this is available where you are, but you will need to get him on a medicine named Tylan 50 which is marketed for cattle here. Maybe someone at a feed store can help you locate it.

The dosing is 1 cc for every 5 pounds of weight. 5-6 days in a row.

I would put him on it immediately.

I had to wait to treat mine until I got the meds and scale in and I think I waited too late. It got really nasty and in the end we had to put him down (just yesterday).

Also, another wonderful member gave me some food for thought... If he gets over it he'll always be a carrier potentially infecting your other birds, also, the infection can come back. Plus since he's showing signs of it he is obviously susceptible so he can pass on those genes that leave him and potentially his offspring susceptible.

In consideration of all that, plus the fact that he wasn't improving, we culled him, which was a difficult decision because I raised him from a chick :/ hoping the best for you.

1 person likes this.
  6. Ecrewe

Aug 29, 2016
    Thank you for all your help. I think I'll have to cull him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by