1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

rooster with chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by omartorres, Nov 30, 2011.

1. omartorres

omartorres Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2011
    why do some people only have hens what about the rooster i thought the hen needed the rooster so she can lay eggs i dident realized that untile to day dats why im wondring if i should buy bb bantam trio or some thing:confused:

2. Americana

Americana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Dunnellon, Florida
    Quote:A hen doesn't need a rooster to lay eggs. [​IMG]

3. FrizzlesRule

FrizzlesRule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    True, a hen doesn't need a rooster to lay eggs, but one is needed if you want fertile eggs. Roosters also make great pets. [​IMG]

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    As others have said, you do not need a rooster to get eggs. Some people don't keep roosters because they have had problems with human aggressive roosters or they don't want to feed a bird that 'gives them nothing.'

5. ChickenMack

ChickenMack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    If you want a natural flock, you need a rooster. If you want a protector for your girls, you need a rooster. If all you want are eggs, you don't need a rooster.

I, personally, keep a rooster. Why? First, asthetics, they are beautiful. Second, they keep a good watch on the girls and third, I want to keep a natural flock (hens hatch and raise the chicks- not humans and hatcheries).[​IMG]

6. RoosterRanch

RoosterRanch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2010
    Waverly WV
    You dont NEED a rooster but you should have one if allowed by local ordinance. Roosters do many things for hens other than the obvious thing which is to fertilize eggs. In my opinion, hens with a rooster are calmer and lay better due to the natural protective nature of a good ROO. Roosters keep order in the flock and break up fights amongst rival hens they also keep an eye out for predators and warn the hens of impending doom. Also a good ROO will search for food and call the hens to it. I happen to be a big fan of the lowly rooster, they are beautiful, proud and give us those lovely morning calls which say Good morning to me. Just my opinion however.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by