Rooster with chipped beak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KelBelle, Jan 19, 2011.

1. KelBelle

KelBelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    I noticed today that my rooster has chipped his beak. I don't know what happened. Is there any reason to be overly concerned about this? Will it grow back?

2. BigSkyChickens

BigSkyChickens Free Bird

Apr 3, 2009
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Is your rooster eating and drinking OK? Is the beak bleeding or missing any pieces or just cracked?

My cochin accidentally de-beaked herself last summer. Tore off the top tip of her beak. It was a little gruesome, so I will refrain from posting the pic. I had to watch her closely the first week or so to make sure she was getting enough water and food.

I would also keep an eye on hime to make sure no other chickens are picking on him.
    Good luck.
    [​IMG]

3. KelBelle

Aug 15, 2010
    There is a small piece missing on the front side of it. I didn't notice any bleeding at all and I pretty sure I saw him eating while I was in there as well. I did notice that he seemed pretty agitated about something in a corner of the coop and was digging in the shavings. Today was also the first time that he ever crowed while I was in the coop. I don't know if that means anything or not. Usually he only crows when someone approaches the coop but not when we are in it. I have never seen any of the others pick on him. He is usually the one to do the pecking. I am not saying it isn't possible, but I highly doubt it. Unless one brave hen pecked back now that he has been trying to get "busy" with them. LOL

4. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    If it's bleeding a little pressure with a tissue should get it to stop. Dab some blue kote on any red areas (the others will peck at it mercilessly if its at all red) it should grow back just fine.

5. KelBelle

Aug 15, 2010
    I am unfamiliar with blue kote. Where could I find that? Fleet Farm or another kind of farm supply store?

6. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Tractor supply has it....most feed stores carry it or something similar. Its a blue antiseptic dye basically.....when they don't see the red they stop pecking at it.

7. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    You can also use blue food coloring... I used it in a spray bottle with some water and it worked great!

Goddess [​IMG]

8. KelBelle

Aug 15, 2010
    Thanks for the advice all! I checked it out again this morning and there is/was no bleeding at all. It is just a little bit at the end of his beak.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by