Rooster with comb torn off

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Peyelle, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Peyelle

Peyelle New Egg

Jun 20, 2016
    so to start off this post isn't about my own birds, but my neighbors own chickens and im very attached to them. last night, they ended up roosting in trees because the weather r\got bad before they were able to put them up.

raccoons attacked them, killed the oldest bird and tore the comb off of one of the young roosters.

i haven't taken a picture, but i dunno if the neighbor is even gonna be able to take him to the vet. The wound looks dirty, should i try to clean it and do antyhing else?? what would i use

please help me? I really dunno what to do other then be really distressed which isn't helping.

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

definitely clean it you can use a cotton swab and some peroxide, just don't get any in his eyes! separate him from the other birds as they will peck at and make it worse. clean the wound daily or 2 times daily as needed

3. Peyelle

Peyelle New Egg

Jun 20, 2016
    should i get a picture of the wound? My mom thinks maybe it wasn't the coons but the other rooster having attacked him as he's avoiding him (and the rest of the bird) like the plague

i'll see about getting a cotton ball and tryint to clean it. he seems really calm/tame versus how he was acting before, but i don't know if he'll let me pick him up/get at the wound easily

4. Poultry parent

just if you clean make sure not to get any peroxide in his eyes. be very careful when you clean it as the peroxide will sting and he might struggle, you can wrap him in an old towel to make it easier

5. Peyelle

Peyelle New Egg

Jun 20, 2016
  6. Poultry parent

he will probably get scared of you but with coaxing that will change

7. Poultry parent

definitely clean that

8. Peyelle

Peyelle New Egg

Jun 20, 2016
    i was too worried to use peroxide, but i manged to clean it some with just clean water and cotton balls.
    i'm starting to think it was the other rooster because i was giving him watermelon and the other rooster came and chased him about. (i chased off the other rooster once i got between them)

the neighbor said they're looking into something called 'wound kote' and i told him he has to keep them separate.
    I really wish i could do more for the poor thing.

9. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Neighbor is probably talking about Blu-Kote- it's an antiseptic protective wound dressing.
    Good stuff and hope the neighbor wears gloves while using it.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  10. Poultry parent

just make sure he is comfortable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by