Rooster with damaged comb and waddles

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rlephoto, Feb 14, 2014.

1. rlephoto

rlephoto Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2012
    Yesterday the chickens never stepped out in the 6 inches of snow we had. Today they came out and the rooster stayed in the coop. I went to investigate and found he would let me pick him up. He's very poor looking and sitting on the nest box. Both the edges of his comb and waddles are red. Not sure if he got frost bite back weeks ago when it was in the single digits or he or one of the hens injured him? I refilled their feed can, which they have been burying with straw making it hard for them to get food. Noted blood on the feed can 3/4 the way around. Could he have been frantic and hungry and done this?

Here is the photo I took of him yesterday:
    [​IMG]
    He looks slightly worse today. What should we do? Isolate him? Or just let him heal?
    Thanks for your help!
    Randy

2. rlephoto

Nov 25, 2012
    So just checked the rooster again. He's ignoring the hens, two of them pecked at his comb when he went outside and plopped himself down in the dry spot in the yard. The two (of six) hens pecked at him and he did nothing. Isolate him? The wife wants to bring him inside, yeah like where would we put him.

3. TNBlacktails

TNBlacktails Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2012
    Union County Tennessee
    Might want to spray some kinda of antiseptic spray on him so it doesn't get infected and isolate him so they don't hurt him farther.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  4. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    x2

5. rlephoto

Nov 25, 2012
    OK he's isolated in the guest bathroom in a dog carrier. Will have to ask the wife about any spray we might have. Can't get out because of our icy uphill driveway. Will go to the farm store tomorrow,should be able to get out then.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Put him in a crate inside the coop, or bring him into the basement or garage. He probably got some frostbite, and hitting his comb against the feeder got it to bleeding. Other chickens will peck at anything out of the ordinary. Put some Neosporin on his comb.

7. rlephoto

Nov 25, 2012
    Ok applied neosporin to him. He's in the shower in a dog crate in the bathroom. We'll move him to the coop (in the box) later in the week if he gets a little better.

8. rlephoto

Nov 25, 2012
    Sorry to report on the rooster. This morning about 8:30 am I checked on him. He was lying down, got up and I left him standing in the box. Revisited at 10am and he was dead. At least I tried.

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    So sorry for your loss. Maybe he had something else going on like a bad heart that caused the hens to peck him. They seem to have radar about illness in the flock. Hope it was an isolated problem.

10. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss. What breed was he?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by