Rooster With Darkening Comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tandykins, Jan 5, 2015.

1. tandykins

tandykins Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    Gunning, NSW
    My 22 week old Ancona roo Mr The Conductor has started to have darkened tips on his comb. He seems perfectly fine otherwise, behaving normally. We have feather mites and live that we're treating right now (kind of bummed, I keep my coop super clean and pressure wash it fortnightly but I know that this sometimes happens) and I'm wondering if that could be it. He's also due for a worming which I'm just about to do right now.

Could this be the mites? I prefer to err on the side of paranoia. XD

The photo makes it look quite black but to the eye it's more of a purplish red.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  2. tandykins

May 14, 2014
    Gunning, NSW
    Chickens are all wormed. I decided to go with tablets this time and it was -so- much easier than the water soluble powder. I just held each chicken's dose out in the palm of my hand and most gobbled them all up. A couple of chickens had to have the pills put in their mouths but all in all it went quite smoothly!

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    If he's acting normal, it's common to have blu-ish tips when they are ready for some romance. Some also get red legs.

4. tandykins

May 14, 2014
    Gunning, NSW
    I think that was probably it! He's been ready for romance for weeks and on that day was also a bit stressed (coop cleaning day) so I think it was a combination of both. He was fine yesterday. No darkened tips at all.

5. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    LOL, watch out, your leg may start looking pretty good...[​IMG]

6. tandykins

May 14, 2014
    Gunning, NSW
    XD He's got 11 hens to get his energy out on and at 22 weeks is already a daddy. Virile little sod.

7. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida

8. tandykins

May 14, 2014
    Gunning, NSW
    -_- I also just found him out there with his head raised and one of his hens busily trying to remove his No Crow Collar. Apparently if he can't get it off himself he'll get one of his ladies to do it for him. >.< He's a cheeky one! Handsome though...

[​IMG]

9. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    He's a handsome dude

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by