1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster with downward growing tail feathers

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mmudge, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Mmudge

Mmudge New Egg

Jul 9, 2016
    Hi all, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with a rooster who's tail feathers are growing down. I noticed last week he had gnats flying around his back side and he was laying down a lot. I lifted up his tail and found a large golf ball sized mass of built up poop attached to the feathers right under his anus. I removed it with mineral oil and washed the area with iodine just in case. I am noticing the gnats are back again and I am wondering if I should clip off his droopy tail feathers? He's only 3 months old and never really had much of a tail to begin with. Any suggestions would be appreciated![​IMG]

2. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, you can clip the poop problem feathers off.
    I have this issue with my BR hens. Lots of butt fluff and they sure can accumulate lots of poop in a short while.
    I am a nervous Nellie regarding fly strike so I keep them all clipped and clean.

Check his butt very well for maggots and more junk since you say he's being messed with by gnats. Is there a rotten odor?
    Fly strike is a nightmare- I don't wish that for anyone!

3. Mmudge

Mmudge New Egg

Jul 9, 2016
    I did not see any maggots or notice any not normal foul odor, I think I caught it in time luckily. He got a nice little hair do job yesterday and appears to be helping so far, no messy feathers I can see. Thank you for your help I'm new to chickens this year and having hatched them myself I get nervous when I see things a bit off. :)

4. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok, glad things are looking up!
    Best wishes.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Does he have a normal tail anatomy...wonders if he's a rumpless cross?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by