Rooster with eye problem, can anybody help? See photo please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MuddyHillFarm, Aug 6, 2013.

1. MuddyHillFarm

MuddyHillFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2012
    Clarksburg, MD
    A few days ago, we noticed that our Wheaten Ameraucana rooster was not looking like his usual plucky self--his tail looked scruffy, we thought he might be sneezing a bit. Otherwise, he was eating and acting pretty normal, but not crowing much so I thought he was starting to moult. Today, I noticed that one of his eyes looked really weird--like the iris has gone almost completely black. When we picked him up it sounded like he was breathing hard. We isolated him from the rest of the flock in a big dog crate that we use as a hospital crate. He is eating and vocalizing a bit, but nothing like his usual crowing. Does anybody have any idea what might be wrong with his eye? I have searched online a bit and I am stumped.

The photo below shows both eyes. We are really worried about him. He is the most docile rooster I have ever met, and he comes from good stock.

[​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Wow! I've never seen an eye like that. I don't know what is causing that. However, if he was sneezing and breathing heavily, and isn't being as noisy as usual, it is likely that he has contracted a respiratory disease. Keep him warm, and make sure that he is eating and drinking. Give him probiotics and electrolytes, too.

I think that if it is a respiratory disease, it is viral. However, it could be a bacterial disease, like Chronic Respiratory Disease. You should get Tyaln200 or Tylan50, and keep them on hand in case the disease gets worse. The dosage for Tylan50 is 1cc for large fowl, .5ccs for bantams, injected into the breast muscle for five days. The dosage for Tylan200 is .5ccs for large fowl, and .1-.3ccs for bantams, for 3-4 days.

I hope this helps, and he gets better! He seems like a very pretty rooster.

3. mithious

mithious Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh dear, how old is he? Sooo sorry, he looks like he doesn't feel well [​IMG]

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  5. mithious

You have said this a LOT...do see a lot of respiratory diseases in your flock? That would be very suspect to me, since you have that chicken with mareks????? and you seem to know a awful lot about this antibiotic Tylan...how many of your bantams have had respiratory diseases?

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    When humans get severe head injuries, they will sometimes get a dilated pupil on the opposite side, but the pupil is usually round, not irregular.

7. mithious

I was in a car accident and had a brain injury, but the dilated pupil only lasted a week or so, atleast that's what the Dr's told me, I was in a coma for a month, drug induced mostly, because of many broken bones...but you are right Eggsessive, it was only my dominant eye, my right eye and cleared up fairly fast. Poor guy!!!!

8. MuddyHillFarm

Jan 15, 2012
    Clarksburg, MD
    Thank you, Wyandottes7. I am headed to the farm store tomorrow. I will see if I can get the Tylan. Also I thought I might pick up some VetRx. It sounds like it's good for respiratory problems.

9. MuddyHillFarm

Jan 15, 2012
    Clarksburg, MD
    I think he is between one and two years old. We got him in July 2012.

10. mithious

Where did you get him? Awwww so young to be sick too!!! Any info, as much as you can give would help everyone help him!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by