Rooster with eye problem - Please help!

IronEagle

Songster
7 Years
Jul 22, 2014
Hawi, Hawaii
My poor monster rooster George has had a persistent eye infection for almost a month. It started one morning when I saw that it looked like his eye had been poked (kind of red and puffy) but it did not look bad - not enough to be concerned. But the next morning it was literally bulging out and crusty so I grabbed him and when I pulled his eyelids apart **warning, graphic description to follow not for the faint of stomach** a marble sized ball of solid pus exploded out under pressure. I started him on a 1/2 ML injection of tetracycline every three days (with additional 2 drops directly in the eye).

Poor George Part II (...yes, it can get worse)
The eye with the infection is George's "close up" eye so unfortunately the next morning as he was exiting the coop for the day (and excitedly following his ladies) he missed the door and slammed so, so, so hard into the door frame. So hard that HE BROKE HIS BEAK! About 1/4 of the tip of his beak was cracked and curled up under stabbing him in the roof of his own mouth. It was a horror. We had to do a minor surgery to get the broken pieces out and then disinfect the wound which was bleeding and filthy. Poor George was first having trouble seeing his food and now his beak was too sensitive to peck. We monitored his food intake for a week and fed him food soaked in water.

Surprisingly his beak has nearly grown back but this eye problem still persists. As you can see from the pictures it looks better but I can't tell if there is still an infection. We clean it out for him and I apply "tears" drops. At this point his eye doesn't look inflamed or bulging (like before) but the ongoing issue is that he can't open the inner eyelid. Sometimes it will be about 1/4th of the way open and I can tell he can peek out of it (because he responds to my incoming q-tip while cleaning it). But it's like the inner eyelid is stuck closed.

We do not have a vet where I live (rural remote Mexico) but I do also have 3-sulpha antibiotic. I also wormed him in case it was an eye worm and to be sure he didn't have any parasites while he was trying to heal.

Any help or insight will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you! IronEagle

Poor boy!

You were right to get that puss out of there. Having a massive wad of ricotta cheese in your eye can't be fun. It's possible this could be some type of conjunctivitis.

I'd head over to Tractor Supply or your local feed store and pick up some Vetericyn eye drops.

Hopefully, that will help.

Tetracycline and the 3-sulfa are generally used for respiratory infections...

Does his head have a smell to it? Have you noticed any wheezing, sneezing, labored breathing, or dripping nostrils?

What wormer and what dosage did you give for the eye worms? If he had eye worms, he would be constantly scratching and rubbing his eye... If he's not doing that, I would suspect injury or infection.

MrsB

MrsB,
Thank you so much for your reply. No, his head doesn't have any smell at all and he has not been wheezing or showing any respiratory symptoms at all. The wormer I used was Jedd's Mediworm (Pyrantel Pamoate 20mg and Praziquantel 5mg) and the reason I did it was because I saw some live worm sections on the poop board and worried that a parasite may be weakening him. But I did see him poop the day after the worming and no worms came out. Since I haven't seen him rub his eye at all I'd concur that it was probably an injury.

Unfortunately I don't have a tractor supply or vet nearby and it looks like they don't sell Vetericyn in Mexico. I will be heading out of my little village next week for a shopping trip to a big city so maybe I'll have some luck finding something in a more populated area. The Vetericyn looks like a special solution, do you know if there is a generic equivalent or if I can't find that perhaps a back-up product?

Thank you so much for your help, again, I really appreciate it!!

IE

The dose for praziquantel to treat tapeworm is 10mg/kg. Did you give him a double dose? Worms can be present without ever seeing them in droppings.

Chickens can have up to 10mg/kg of praziquantel and 75-100mg/kg of pyrantel.

There is a 28 day withdrawal for eggs and meat.

No idea about generic label Vetericyn, but I believe you can also order it online.

If you're able to find some Valbazen liquid goat wormer and/or Safe Guard liquid goat wormer, those are probably all you need as far as a worming goes when used in a rotation.

Hope that helps!

MrsB

Last edited:
The Mediworm with pyrantel pamoate will take care of large roundworms, cecal, and capillary worms. The praziquantel will take care of the tapeworms. Redose again in 10 days. Also check your hens feces for tapeworm segments and treat with Mediworm as needed.
It sounds like poor George simply has an eye infection and not a respiratory disease. It's possible he may have been pecked or has likely scratched his eye causing infection. Feces on his toenails may have caused staph and/or ecoli bacteria to take hold and it's possible he may eventually lose his eye. You can use saline solution to flush the eye in case there's debris in his eye.
Since Vetericyn isnt available, I recommend Terramycin eye ointment. Just a 1/4 inch strip of ointment in the eye is enough, twice a day. The ointment will melt once applied.
http://www.jedds.com/?s=terramycin+eye+ointment

The Mediworm with pyrantel pamoate will take care of large roundworms, cecal, and capillary worms. The praziquantel will take care of the tapeworms. Redose again in 10 days. Also check your hens feces for tapeworm segments and treat with Mediworm as needed.
It sounds like poor George simply has an eye infection and not a respiratory disease. It's possible he may have been pecked or has likely scratched his eye causing infection. Feces on his toenails may have caused staph and/or ecoli bacteria to take hold and it's possible he may eventually lose his eye. You can use saline solution to flush the eye in case there's debris in his eye.
Since Vetericyn isnt available, I recommend Terramycin eye ointment. Just a 1/4 inch strip of ointment in the eye is enough, twice a day. The ointment will melt once applied.
http://www.jedds.com/?s=terramycin+eye+ointment

Dawg53,
Thank you so much for your reply! I don't have any Terramycin eye ointment on hand, but I do have an Oxytetracycline injectable (local name is Emecina) I had been dropping two drops in the eye every 3 days for the last 2 weeks or so. Unfortunately yesterday the infection seemed to flare up and now it's oozing quite a bit. I'm heading into town tomorrow and will find the eye ointment. Also a friend of mine recommended a few drops of honey. At this point I'd try anything to help him!

Thanks to all who have helped. Here's to hoping it turns around soon for poor George.
(on the brighter side I had 3 bantams hatch today!)
IE

Back
Top Bottom