rooster with full squishy crop smells of poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by earthfriendlyfarm, Aug 27, 2010.

1. earthfriendlyfarm

earthfriendlyfarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    Ellijay
    Our 6 month old dominique rooster has had a squishy crop. and sways his head back and forth as if to adjust getting stuff out of the crop. So we turned him upside down and out drained a dirt or poop looking watery substance that smelled like poop. We then made a liquid with yogurt, colloidal silver and water and flushed his crop. It smelled bad like fecal matter, but got it sort of cleaned out and his crop much smaller. He at up a banana with yogurt like a flash. I put him back in his pen and he sat a bit to recover from our procedure. But now two days later he has an accumluation of squishiness again. Looks as if he has been eating lots of dirt. His beak is covered in it. What kind of a deficiency could this be? he gets free range and eats layer pellets with wheatgrass. and loads of tasty stuff from the garden. Any ideas or supplements I could try

2. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    You should probably search sour crop .. here on this website (top right search button) or google ..

Good Luck!

3. earthfriendlyfarm

earthfriendlyfarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    Ellijay
    Thanks, I have researched lots of sour crop and we had a crop bound chick. She died and I did an autopsy to see how hard and what would be required to have fixed that problem. I now have a sterile surgery kit to remove crop bindings. And now our roosters crop is still distended but the stuff inside is corn bits, clear to cloudy liquid that no longer smells bad, but we did notice little 1/4 inch little worms that I believe could be our problem. We will seperate him out and give him Wyzine chicken wormer and see if that doesn't clear up his problem. Thanks for your help. Kelley

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by