1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster with Green Poo & Purple Comb/Waddle

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tamraclovw, Mar 5, 2013.

1. tamraclovw

tamraclovw Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2012
    Hi All! Last week (while it was rather cold here) I noticed that my prize Black Copper Marans Roo had very purplish coloring on his comb and waddle. I thought that he must have stood out in the wind too long and been frostbitten. But for the last couple of days, he has been noticeably sickly - keeping his head down and pulled in, feathers held slightly out, shoulders forward. Today he pooped while I was there and it was very bright green and a bit chunky, like it had not been digested.

Help! What does my poor man need? They have access to grit and calcium, and I feed whole oats, cracked corn and layer pellets. They have been on this feed for months, and no one else has any problems.

Any ideas?? Should I gave them a day or 2 of electrolyte in their water? I have some leftover from when they were chicks last spring...

Thanks!

2. tamraclovw

Jan 6, 2012
    MORE INFO:

I separated my Roo, and he was very excited about drinking. I remembered that they ran out of water at one point last week... I use Aqua Miser Nipples - I wonder if he checked for water a few times, then gave up trying and hasn't had a drink since? If so, I bet he will be fine by tomorrow.

I made him a scrambled egg and mixed it with some yogurt. He picked out the blueberries (it was the only kind I had!) then couldn't keep his eyes open. He reminded me of a chick - how they just fall asleep in place no matter what they are doing.

I also don't have electrolytes - they took on water over the summer and gummed up. Will that be helpful for him? I'm getting new chicks next week, so I guess I'll need to get some anyway.

Any more ideas? Thanks!!

3. 1 Happy Hen

1 Happy Hen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2013
    Michigan
    My hen has the same symptoms. She is on day 3 of her sickness. I still can't find out what's wrong. I think you did the right thing to separate him from the rest of the flock (just in case it's contagious).

Everyone on here has been so helpful and nice, so I'm sure we will find out what's wrong soon.

Best wishes & good luck!

4. Country Chick

Country Chick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    Gibsonia, PA
    Hello there!

Not sure if this will help you or not... but sometimes with my roos I will put VetRx on their heads rubbing it on their comb & waddles. I will also give them a couple of drops down their throat also.

I also will take a piece of bread soaked in milk and feed it to them when they have green poop. You could put a heat lamp on him also.

Could also try some antibiotics either some Bacitracin or Duramycin(tetracycline).

Sometimes it is so hard to figure out what is wrong....Good luck!!

5. 1 Happy Hen

1 Happy Hen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2013
    Michigan
    Just wondering, how old is he? Are there others in the flock with ruffled feathers, no energy or other symptoms?

I think the electrolytes would help alot, since he has runny poo. couldn"t hurt.

6. tamraclovw

Jan 6, 2012
    Hi All, thanks for the advise. Roo is under a heat lamp, and in fact I had to adjust it closer this morning. Roo was bedded down beneath it and still cold... I got electrolytes last night as well as chick probiotics and added them to his water this morning, but he isn't drinking that much, so I'm not sure how long it will be before he gets any. He finished the egg & yogurt I gave him last night, and I gave him another egg this morning, which he picked at a little, but didn't eat.

I am getting new chicks in a week, and I'll need his pen. If he is not showing improvement by then he will probably have to be culled. So sad because he is much prettier than his brother :-(

7. tamraclovw

Jan 6, 2012
    Oh, and all the other chickens are fine, no other symptoms.

8. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    it very well could be cocci. ruffled feathers, head down,very tired, if it is cocci give corid. corid will kill all strains of cocci while other medications will only kill certain strains of it
    after giving corid give some proboitic to replace the healthy bacteria that was compermised during treatment. id start with the corid as soon as posiable! please do a search on coccidosis and see if symptoms fit. if yes start corid right away. i cant see the bird but what your describing soumds to me like cocci. is there any blood in the poo? cocci can start without having bloody stool. but ultimately you can see your bird, i cant so search up cocci and see if it fits the description to you? his breathing is normal right? no wheezing or sounds when breathing? if no, then its not a respitory illness. from what you decribed sounds like it could be cocci . please do a search on it and see what you think. if it fits the discription to you. you know your bird best and can decide by loooing at him and symptoms. if yes then treat with corid soon as you can
    . it will cure it up. i wish you the best and Hope this is helpful. its kinda difficult to diagnose without seeing the bird but cocci could be a possiability. good luck to you and hope this helps.

9. tamraclovw

Jan 6, 2012
    Thank you so much! I ran into town and got Corid. The symptoms sound right. Also - I bought all my chicks last year from Meyer's, pre vaccinated. BUT my 2 Black Copper Marans Roos were bought later from a breeder, and I have no idea if he vaccinated them or not. If not, then it makes sense that one of them would get sick.

I'll start the Corid ASAP!!

10. earthfriendlyfarm

earthfriendlyfarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    Ellijay
    where do you buy corid? sounds like a wonderful thing to keep on hand.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by