Rooster with growth on his toe

mjplay

In the Brooder
Nov 17, 2021
Hi, I'm new to posting to this group but I have been following along for years. I need some advice on a rooster of mine. He's a year and a half old with a growth on his toe. I don't think it's bumblefoot but I do a lot of chicken care on my own if you can instruct me. It's been there for months. I tried to address the issue but haven't found anything helpful. He holds it up a lot but is acting fine otherwise. He was my very first incubator hatch. As far as his health goes, he gets hiccups often, always has. Early on, I noticed he ran like a toy soldier but all seems ok with that now.
PXL_20211110_225144060.jpg
PXL_20211110_225108229.jpg
PXL_20211110_225111797.jpg
PXL_20211110_225118799.jpg
PXL_20211109_215439557.jpg
Is there something I could do for him? Or do I need to get a vet involved?

I'm sorry, your very excellent photos are not speaking to me. Could you please point out precisely what concerns you and exactly where it's located? I see nothing out of the ordinary other than maybe a bit of swelling in the middle joint of the middle toe.

Show us the other foot for comparison so we can rule out his individual normal foot traits.

I'm sorry, your very excellent photos are not speaking to me. Could you please point out precisely what concerns you and exactly where it's located? I see nothing out of the ordinary other than maybe a bit of swelling in the middle joint of the middle toe.

Show us the other foot for comparison so we can rule out his individual normal foot traits.
PXL_20211109_215438688.jpg

you are looking in the right place. i found this picture that shows both.

It appears to be a swollen joint. I have an eight-year old hen with the exact same thing, only I suspect gout in her case. In your rooster's case, since he's so young, I suspect an injury. Do you have any idea how long it's been this way?

With joints, the tissue can be injured and later, calcium can form around the injury. It's often how arthritis in our aging bodies starts. If this has been only recent that you've noticed it, you can try treating it with daily soaks in Epsom salts. If he seems in a lot of pain, you can give him an 81 grain chewable aspirin twice a day, and also try rubbing some cortisone cream into it each day. These two pain remedies might help with pain and also inflammation.

It appears to be a swollen joint. I have an eight-year old hen with the exact same thing, only I suspect gout in her case. In your rooster's case, since he's so young, I suspect an injury. Do you have any idea how long it's been this way?

With joints, the tissue can be injured and later, calcium can form around the injury. It's often how arthritis in our aging bodies starts. If this has been only recent that you've noticed it, you can try treating it with daily soaks in Epsom salts. If he seems in a lot of pain, you can give him an 81 grain chewable aspirin twice a day, and also try rubbing some cortisone cream into it each day. These two pain remedies might help with pain and also inflammation.
I would say a couple of months. Thank you for this helpful info. I'll see what I can do about the soaks. He doesn't seem to be in pain but they don't let on about it usually.

Back
Top Bottom