Rooster with hens, breeding questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by polychickens, Feb 4, 2008.

1. polychickens

polychickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2007
    Today I seperated 8 RIR hens and my only rooster (also a RIR) from the rest of my breeds.

What is the best way to get some RIR chicks? Should I leave all the eggs produced for a certain amount of time and see what happens?

I'm wondering what would be the most efficient way of getting some chicks without wasting too many eggs. Perhaps I should eat all the eggs I get for a week or so since I am unsure if the roo has been servicing the hens prior to today. He had been mixed in with a flock of 40+ and I'm not sure who was getting the attention.

Now that he can concentrate on these 8 RIR's, what is the best way to proceed? The hens and roo are 10-11 months old.

Also, if I place a couple of my barred rocks in with this flock, will that result in black sex link chicks?

Thanks for any help.

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I would just eat the eggs for at least 3 weeks. By then they should be fertile. As for the BR/RIR combo...Hmm, not sure, but I bet it would be pretty!

3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    No, you wouldn't get Black Sex Links-for those you need to go the other way. Barred rock male on R I R female.
    You may have fertile Red eggs already depending on how many total hens the RIR male has been with. In any event, now that the reds are seperated I'd say you could start saving eggs in a week.

4. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    polychickens, You will get black sex links by crossing the Barred Rock hens on the Rhode Island male..

5. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    You will get sex-links. The barring will be expressed only in the male babies, they should look like typical barred rock babies (Black with yellow headspot). Female babies will be all black.

If you used a barred male with a non-barred female, all babies would have the barring.

6. Yogiman

Yogiman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    South Louisiana
  7. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    I stand corrected! I've never tried to make any but had heard it the way I reported. Sorry.

8. Basia

Basia Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2007
    NE Ohio
    I think I learn something new everyday!
    I wonder if there is a "mix these Chickens and you get those Chickens" site... a breeding chart of sorts?
    Think I'll look for one...[​IMG]

9. Yogiman

Yogiman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    South Louisiana
    You might want to look at the above link I posted earlier. Ideal poultry has a section on sex links that describes the breeding: i.e. red sex link, black sex link, etc. They are the only hatchery that I have found to do so. Very informative.

10. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    when you break the eggs to eat you can tell if they are fertile,then just put some in an incubator,the BR will probally set before the RIR if any of them ever do,I think you will have a lot of rotten eggs before one will start to set

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by