rooster with hens or not?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by fluffyme, Aug 9, 2018.

1. fluffyme

fluffyme In the Brooder

Apr 4, 2017
    Who keeps a hen with their hens and who don't. why?

I am asking because a friend ended up with 4 chickens when buying a new home the previous owners left 3 hens and a rooster behind when they moved out. someone told her that is she wanted fresh eggs daily she needed to keep the rooster away from the hens. This didn't make since to me so asked her why and her response really didn't make sense from my experience so I am asking here. More of this persons reasoning really didn't make sense to me.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  2. Squishychicken

Squishychicken Songster

Oct 13, 2017
    The reasons to keep roos are as follows:
    1. Flock alarm and protection
    2.fertile eggs
    3. Eye candy

If you arnt looking to hatch eggs or need an alarm system there's no need for a roo unless of course you want them for showing or lookin at.

If roo to hen ratio Isn't balanced then the hens can get bare backs from over mating. Plus roos if not trained can be mean. NOT saying all are mean but they can. Here's my way of training/dominating them to not be mean. Bare backs also cause hens stress which could slow down the laying cycle.
    www.backyardchickens.com/articles/author/squishychicken.495040/

I prefer bantam roos for many reasons:
    1. Less space needed to keep them
    2. If there in a flock with bigger hens then there's less stress from over mating
    Yes there is cons with keep banties in with standered sized hens but if done right or raised together since chicks there shouldn't be an issiue.
    I currently have 2 serama roos in with 29 hens I could have more in there but they do fine they love the hens less stress on the girls and the boys get some lady time

There is also a second option to keepin roos a rooster flock.
    @RoostersAreAwesome I'm pretty sure has a great flcok going and could tell you about it

snow5164 and ChooksNQuilts like this.
  3. fluffyme

fluffyme In the Brooder

Apr 4, 2017
    I am asking because someone told a friend that is she wanted fresh eggs daily she needed to keep the rooster away from the hens. this didn't make sence to me so asked her why and her response really didn't make sense from my experience so I am asking here.

she ended up with the chickens because when buying a new home the previous owners left 3 hens and a rooster behind when they moved out.

4. Rachel Taylor

Rachel Taylor Crowing

Aug 17, 2017
    Virginia
    I do keep a rooster with mine. But that was when I first started dealing with chickens and if I knew then what I knew now I would have to think about adding one. Just because you never know what kind of temperament you will end up dealing with or your hens may end up dealing with. I like having a rooster for the following reasons
    They alarm the others of danger
    He helps keep the flock in order. If he notices he can’t see one of his girls he loses it in such is around for her and Brings her back to the flock.
    He digs up worms and other bugs and calls his girls over to snack.
    If I ever decide to hatch eggs I will have fertile eggs
    And definite definite I candy. I love looking at roosters. I wish I could have more than one but mine won’t share his girls even though he has 16
    recently and unfortunately I had a possum in my coupe. At night alarm. He got two of my girls and would have gotten more but heard something going on and ran down there and found my other girls hiding behind the rooster. They run to him for protection and he tries to protect. Now had a possum gone any further I’m sure he could have killed the rooster after a good fight But he has alerted them of other dangers also. And I could tell looking at the poor boy that he did put up some sort of fight for them. Deciding on a rooster your situation and how many roosters she would want versus how many hens you have. And I always suggest if ever getting a rooster for the first time make a plan of where it can be rehomed Just in case things are working out. It’s sad to see so many posts and signs at feed stores with people trying to give away their rooster. So having a place you could re-home or not being bothered by it going in the stewpot would be one thing I suggest. Oh it may also depend on how close your neighbors are. And I would also check your local ordinances. Are used to live in an area where you were allowed to have chickens but absolutely no roosters. At all

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Due to local ordinances, many people cannot legally keep roosters. That is a sad commentary on our culture.
    I lived and worked in Costa Rica where many people have chickens (and roosters) all over the country. I had to be at work quite early and loved the fact that I never needed an annoying alarm clock. Instead, awakening to the gently rising crescendo of area roosters waking the world. In fact, everyone there is up and working shortly after dawn. I'm sure this is the case everywhere that people and chickens work from dawn to dusk.
    Roosters aren't as loud as trains, dogs, lawn mowers, weed eaters, roofers, motorcycles, boom boxes, etc.. When I'm in my house, I can't hear all the roosters crowing but I can hear the train whistle 3 miles away, neighbors mowers and loud traffic
    The answer to the title question depends on one's personal circumstances and goals.
    If one has secure run and coop for a handful of chickens, there really isn't a need for a rooster.
    I have anywhere between 3 and 7 flocks from time to time with at least one rooster running with each free range flock. I almost never have less than 5 roosters (current). But there are times I have 10-20 roosters, some in bachelor pads.

Roosters also find food for hens/chicks and keep watch for predators while the flock eats.
    They are also good at keeping peace in a flock.

If expecting flock protection from a rooster, I wouldn't put that onus on a 2 pound bird.
    I think large, agile Mediterranean roosters with the ability to fly up and take a hawk out of the air work better. While they may not be up to survive a coyote attack, they will take on the challenge giving the hens time to take cover.
    Meds like Minorca, Catalana, Andalusians, White Faced Black Spanish and Black Penedesencas.

GreatGranny likes this.
  6. Chickassan

Chickassan Crossing the Road

I couldn't imagine not having a rooster, all that peace and quiet i'd go nuts! All joking aside they are worth their weight in gold just to keep me from tripping over squatting hens. :)

7. Rachel Taylor

Rachel Taylor Crowing

Aug 17, 2017
    Virginia
    In this area several roosters crow to each other thru the woods each morning. Animal control came to get dog out of my yard when my teenager was home by herself and complimented my rooster while he was there. Lol. They really don’t care unless there was s complaint. Heck it was at least 12 miles for grocery store so even AC new it was silly rule

GreatGranny and ChooksNQuilts like this.
  8. Squishychicken

Squishychicken Songster

Oct 13, 2017
    None of my big roos were ever brave enough to take a hawk or coyote yes there is some great birds that do that but I haven't had any experiences with them protecting like that

My first roo was the only one that would break fights he was a amerucana

My banties find more food and treats for the babies then my standerds did plus any standerds roo ive had didn't like chicks and would chase them

Like I said yes there is some great roos! But I haven t had experience with them and I prefer banties but like I said that's my experience plus I find them to have better temperment

9. leighks

leighks Songster

Apr 15, 2017
    Western New York
    My Coop
    As far as the base of your question, just having a rooster in with the hens doesn’t have any affect on whether or not they produce eggs.

10. snow5164

snow5164 Crowing

May 16, 2015
    My hens fought less when we had our rooster , listened to him and wanted nothing to do with me ☹️, now that he’s moved on they love me again , feathers are growing back and they are much less skittish. No roo needed here

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: