Rooster with hugely swollen wattles after fight

Nbird

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 2, 2007
Marine-On-St.Croix, Minnesota
We have 22 hens and 3 roosters. 1 rooster is new, as of about a month and a half ago. Our 2 old roosters have fought a couple times since the new one came, switching places in the pecking order. No fights for a couple weeks. I thought this was over. Today they fought again and one of our old roosters, the one who used to be King Rooster, is bloody and his wattle is VERY swollen - it looks like there are 2 ping pong balls in there!
1) What can I do for him? 2) Will they ever stop fighting?
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Are all these guys in one big pen? You might have to separate them. You do have enough hens for them to share, but they appear to be too confrontational and territorial for one big family.
As for the swollen wattles......I have crummy guessing help.... are they torn up from fighting, like peck scraps, open wounds,black and blue? Might try compresses to help ease the swelling.
Hope some of this is helpful..lol

They are free range - plenty of room. Live with llamas as guards. Is there some kind of antibiotic I can put in water to prevent infection from injuries? Right now he won't come out of a nesting box he is sitting in, facing the wall. poor guy:(

Poor guy, he probably is too scared to come out. Can you keep him separated so you can keep an eye on him? He doesn't really need medicine, he needs TLC as he probably got the tar beat out of him....You can also use warm compresses on his wattles and feed him some special treats / electrolytes in the water things like that....

Back
Top Bottom