1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster With Hurt Eye!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by roostersandhens, Dec 6, 2013.

What should I do?

Poll closed Jan 5, 2014.
  1. Take Gandhi to the vet

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Gandhi is Fine!

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. He May be Blind

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. I Don't Know

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. Wait To See If He Opens His Eye

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hello all,
    My rooster Gandhi got into a fight with my rooster Licorice. We won't be putting them in the same coop at night again. Well Licorice is a lot bigger and stronger then Gandhi, so Gandhi is more beat up. They are both in pretty bad shape. I feel really bad for them. I went to let them out of their coop at I think 7:30. The blood on them was still fresh. Gandhi's eye was covered in blood. Yes he still has an eye! We brought the 2 boys in the house. We cleaned them up (washed of the blood). We cleaned up Gandhi's eye, as in got the blood out of it. His eye wasn't bleeding blood dripped into it. At 8:00 he was opening his eye a little bit and then closing it. So he still has an eye. I know he has an eye. His other eye is fine. He hasn't opened his eye since about 8:20 AM.. I know it is hurting him. I was wondering if he is blinded, or it just is a bit painful? Should I take him to the vet? (The vet sees chickens). I can't really look at his eye to see if it is ok because, well, he won't open it. I have him in a crate resting. His brother is in a separate crate. I have pictures of him. He is a large fowl mix.

This is his GOOD eye:
    [​IMG]
    Sorry it's not a great picture

This is his bad eye:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Click the pictures to see it bigger.

BELOW is his BROTHER NOT GANDHI who he fought w/:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks so much everyone!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  2. thunderstruck9

thunderstruck9 New Egg

Oct 2, 2013
    I think he'll be fine. That was obviously a long and serious fight.

3. Ok thanks! Any other opinions?

4. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Hard to say if the sight is lost or not. It is really common for loss of sight from fighting. Mostly the feet kicks to the head and the toe nails or spurs causing the damage. Roosters with one eye survive just fine. Keeping the two separate is a must to prevent the fighting.

I would wash the eye with saline solution.

bigz

5. rbaker0345

rbaker0345 Big Mamma Brahma

Instead of taking him to the vet, ask for a gentamicin opthalmic ointment to stave off any secondary infection. If your vet has a problem with this, you can probably get some on ebay or from a racing pidgeon supply website.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    I would contact a veterinarian soon if it doesn't get better. I had a similar thing happen to my hen (except she didn't get in a fight) but she is blind. I would suggest maybe putting Blu-Kote around his eye and I'm not sure what to do about the eye. Hope this helps!

7. Thanks everyone! Everybody seems to have different opinions! lol! I am open to more ideas!
    Thanks

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Do you have any chicken health books?

9. Yes I do

10. I just gave him baytril. He didn't want to take it.. I hope he gets better soon. If I need to I will take him to the vet.
    Thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by