1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

rooster with hurt leg after getting in fight with other rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cowboyhunt, Dec 31, 2014.

1. cowboyhunt

cowboyhunt Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2014
    Bryson city, nc
    Hi I brought a new rooster into my flock yesterday. I stayed in with them a while and the fought a little bit nothing serious so I left when I went to shut them in for the night. The new rooster was in the corner layed down hiding clearly scared and hurt. He had a few marks on his comb and wattles that I cleaned and doctored. But after I got him out and down to the house I notice he is not walking much and with limp when he does. Mostly lays down still acting scared and hurt. He doesn't seem to be in pain for me to touch or squeeze on him. I can't figure it out. Any suggestions on what I can check for and or how I can treat him. Thanks

2. ochochicas

ochochicas Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2014
    Washington State
    You need to separate him in a different coop or cage (or in the house) so he can have time to heal. You also need to assess the rooster to see if his leg is broken or just bruised.

Any new birds should be separated and introduced to an existing flock gradually. It is recommended that you put the new bird in a cage or quarantine coop for a few weeks so the other birds can see him but not touch him. Many people put the new bird in a dog carrier inside the coop until the existing birds get used to it. When you do put the new birds together, do it at night and then turn the lights out. Chickens do not see well in the dark and generally this is the best time to introduce new birds since they aren't likely to fight.

There are some roosters that are extremely aggressive and will not tolerate other roosters no matter how many precautions we take. In this case it sounds like your new rooster wasn't given a fair chance. Maybe you need to start over and put the new guy in a safe place until everyone learns to get along.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by