Rooster with "icky" mouth/throat

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by heatherincanyon, Jan 20, 2012.

1. heatherincanyon

heatherincanyon Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2011

Hi all. I noticed today that my (only) rooster has some yellow goo (looks thick) in his mouth. His breathing is a bit heavy, and he seams a bit lethargic. He doesn't seam miserable, but there is clearly something going on. Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. ICallMyselfCherie'

ICallMyselfCherie' Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi there, Heather. Welcome to BYC, I'm sorry about your situation.

In order for everyone here to better answer your question, these questions are important:

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

3. heatherincanyon

May 13, 2011
    1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
    Not sure the type of rooster, he was given to us a little over a year ago (he and the 2 chicks we got were the beginnings of our small flock), but I assume he is about 2 - 3, doesn't seam to have lost any weight at this point. Although he's not (able??) eating now.

He's a leghorn.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    He just seams lethargic. Not eating, I'm sure due to the fact that whatever "this" is, has his throat blocked. His breathing is a lilttle labored/heavy. Wings are drooping a bit and his comb is now beginning to droop also.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    Just noticed yesterday morning for the fist time, but thinking back haven't heard any crowing for a couple days.
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    No :)
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    No again.along with
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    Not a clue...
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    They all eat a highly recommended phase 6 lay mash and have plenty of clean drinking water. Although he doens't seam to be eating much or at all now.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    Most excellent question... not at all sure. I will have to check and repost.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    With this being my first sicky I have no clue where to start :(
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    I can treat as much on my own as possible. I'd rather not use the vet (not terribly fond of the only local guy) unless I have to.
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    I'll get one up ASAP
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    We have one very large coop. Shavings on a dirt floor, cleaned regularly, along with the rooster 7 full grown chicks and 2 female ducks share and all get along great.

I hope this helps some. I will get a pic up as soon as the rain stops for a few minutes.
    Thanks for your questions.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
  5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    x2. Sounds like canker. Treatment is 250mg metronidazole once a day for 5 days. It can be purchased online as "fishzole."

6. heatherincanyon

May 13, 2011
    Thanks for the help guys. It was definitely not a canker... By the time the rain stopped and I could get out to check on him and get a camera (just a couple hours) he was too sick to save. We went ahead and but him down. :( Our first flock fatality... I am keeping a very close eye on the rest of the girls for symptoms. I'm not seeing any yet, so crossing my fingers that he was the only one. Once I know it's safe I'll replace him to keep the girls safe and happy. They look rather lost without him around.

Thanks again for the input.

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Sorry for your loss. I hope the rest of the flock remains healthy. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by