Rooster with infected leg. =(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dark Mechanical Angel, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Dark Mechanical Angel

Dark Mechanical Angel Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2011
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    Hi I have a rooster he weights about 20lb and I've brought him to the vet a couple times because he can't walk anymore. The vet told me he had an absses and gave me anti-biotics. She wanted me to bring him again for x-rays and I did and come to find out the infection went to his joint in his leg like the "knee''area. I got more anti-biotis to penitrate the bone and it didn't work. I can't aford anymore and it's just sad. I just noticed yesterday that because he lays down so much on the ground and he is bare skined because of it and now the weather is changing so his skin is dry and is starting to crack and bleed.

Can anyone give me advise? I really want to save him. He is the fisrt chicken I ever got and what started my flock.[​IMG]

2. psimons2004

psimons2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    Cheyenne
    Oh I am so sorry! He sounds really cool. 20 lbs!!!!! I think my Roo weighs about 3, LOL. I have no idea what to tell you regaurding the infection, but bag balm is god send for any open wound on chickens. It is completely non-toxic, has the consistency of vaseline and has anteseptic properties so I would try that on his cracked skin, poor guy! Also that was what I resorted too when I had my first injured chicken and couldn't afford antibiotics. The small can runs about $4 and a large one is $12. I use it all the time!!! On the chickens, dogs, kids, etc! Great stuff. I found it at a Murdochs but I have seen it at several ranch and feed stores and cracker barrel! Good luck!

3. Dark Mechanical Angel

Feb 27, 2011
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    Thank you, I will try the bag balm for his skin. I can go get some at my local agricultural store but, I think I actually have some in my medcine cabinet. [​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    A 20 pound rooster? Sheesh! Got a pic or two? It almost sounds like you're possibly dealing with a staph infection, maybe gout or a combination of the two. If it's a staph infection like with bumblefoot, and the infection reaches the legbone (or any other bacterial infection for that matter)...there's a slim chance that he'll survive because the infection spreads rapidly throughout their system. Even penicillin injections rarely succeed. Gout could be the causes of abcesses which also caused infection. Since the antibiotics arnt having an effect and if bag balm doesnt help, it'll be time to consider quality of life issues and not let him suffer. It might be best to put him down. Here's a link to gout just for your information. Good luck.
    http://en.engormix.com/MA-poultry-i.../avian-gout-causes-treatment-t1246/165-p0.htm

5. Dark Mechanical Angel

Feb 27, 2011
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    Thank you Dawg. The infection has definately gone to the bone. The surprising thing is how long he's been fighting it. His whole leg is swollen and he can walk with it but he can stand on one foot, the good one that is.

I think you are right and I should just put him down. I don't want him to suffer more than he is already. [​IMG] I think I'll try the bag balm and after that, that might be it.

6. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Is he the rooster in your avatar?? If so he's a cornish X meat bird...

I know you really want to save him and obviously love your birds, but they just don't do good. They are made to eat alot, grow fast, and be butchered at 6 weeks. Their legs usually give out on them and they are prone to heart failure. The reason he lays down so much and has a raw spot on his breast is bc he's just so heavy. This is very typical meat birds. I'm sorry to tell you all of this...I know you care about him but he is suffering. I would just put him to sleep. [​IMG]

7. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I had a rooster with the 'plug' in the knee cap. It's what happens when scaley leg mites run amock. I treated it like a bumblefoot because that's what it is, a staph infection. I'd soak it, pull the scab off, try and get the staph plug out, pack it with neosporine and vet wrap it, aid with antibiotics and a tiny bit of plain aspirin. I thought I was making headways but I think I stopped rebandaging too soon and possibly not helping by using neosporine with a pain reliever. I finally had to put him down. It got to the point where he couldn't walk either. Did your vet try cleaning the whole thing out and bandaging? Because if he didn't, he didn't really treat it. I'm absolutely positive it's staph and it must be removed. I know it's hard being it's all in the joint like that I'd love to have a 20 lb roo! BTW, I would also pour the hydrogen peroxide in the wound and then apply the neosporine and bandaging. HD antibiotics after that.

8. Dark Mechanical Angel

Feb 27, 2011
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    Lindsay, yes he is the bird in my avatar. I was told he might be a leghorn when i actualy posted pics in the "what breed" section. Thank you for letting me know he is a cornish, I still wasn't sure because I got sooo many mixed answers. Now that I know that, it seems clear to my why so many bad things have happened to him and his gf Gwen R.I.P. I guess they were just meant to be grown and eaten. Wish I had know that when I bought them, would have saved me alot of money.

Chkn, no the vet didn't clean it. What i did was trying to get the caked off poo and all of a sudden I don't know what came out along with what I think was puss. I went to the vet she looked at it (this was when he could still kinda walk) and she just gave me anti-biotics and wanted to see him in a week if the swelling didn't go down. I thought the swelling did go down but I guess not. So I didn't notice untill it was basicaly to late. I went again when I noticed when he couldn't walk at all and would just fall. Before I had went the day or two beofre I was cleaning it again and a chunk of I don't know what came out and no puss. I cleaned it and wrapped it myself. Went to the vet and she looked at it gave me a coule anti-biotics and sent me on my way saying she thought it went to the bone and she wanted to take x-rays. I came got the x-rays and was told it did go to the bone. I got another anti-biotic and a pain med and was sent on my way. After I ran out I called and said I have no more money to spend I lost my job what can I do. I was told on three different day to call I tried and she was busy so I gave up and am trying to find help on here or if I should just put him down. If I do decide to put him down, how would I go about doing it in a human way?

I just want to thank everyone for helping me I really love my chickens.

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    The quickest, easiest, painless way is a .22 bullet to the head.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  10. Dark Mechanical Angel

Feb 27, 2011
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    Quote:Thanks, but no thanks. I could never . . . plus I don't own a gun. How about like slip him something so he like "falls asleep"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by