Rooster with injured eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SassyKat6181, Nov 12, 2011.

1. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    1) What type of bird , age and weight Barred Rock Rooster, about 6months old, 5-6 pounds
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. didn't want me to catch him today or yesterday, the days before he was easy to pick up
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 2 weeks
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. right eye is a little puffy and oozy. when he opens it, the front half is covered in a whitish goo
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. may have been pecked? not really sure
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. eating and drinking as usual
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. normal
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? antibiotic ophthalmic ointment in eye once a day. (i had some leftover from when my son had an infection)
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? i've been treating him and am almost out of ointment and the eye doesn't seem to be clearing up like i had hoped. i'm sure my dog vet would give me a prescription without being seen. i have pro-pen-g on hand (from treating kittens). should i dose him with this? if so, how much and how do i do it?
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. i will try to get a picture tomorrow morning.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use he is in a quarantine stall with wood shavings (not cedar) away from the hens, as i worried they would peck him more.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would just continue with the local treatment. You can also use plain Neosporin ointment in eyes (I would buy the brand for this.) Or there is an ophthalmic ointment in most feed stores, usually Terramycin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by