Rooster with injured leg! PICS

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PrinceSandwich, Dec 16, 2009.

1. PrinceSandwich

PrinceSandwich Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    One of my plymouth rock roosters has something wrong with its leg:( He can still walk slightly but he walks on the back of his legs! He was in the pen with a turkey and a few other birds, and I've seen the turkey stepping on other birds with its BIG feet! So maybe the poor rooster got stepped on:hit. What can I do for him?? I have him seperated from the rest of the flock. I drew a really crappy pic of what his legs look like, but hopfully you will be able to get an idea of what it looks like. I'll probly post a real pic tomorrow.

[​IMG]

Sorry it took me so long to add these, but it seemed like he was getting better.

[​IMG]

His feet don't really look normal

[​IMG]

And he walking kinda on the backs of hif legs

[​IMG]

Heres another one of his feet

[​IMG]

And because hes walking on the backs of his legs he has a really crusty bum. And because of his crusty bum hes also gotten mites [​IMG]

[​IMG]

so I'm going to be getting some dust for the mites but I don't really know what to do about the other stuff [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  2. PrinceSandwich

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    Anybody??

3. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    it looks almost like frostbite. im not sure. maybe some other people will have better ideas

4. OhMyItsAndyy

OhMyItsAndyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    West England
    Well. I will point out the obvious first. His toes are hurt, hence walking on the back of his feet. Does he go crazy if you touch them or mess with them? He may have had something landed on them

Is it just me, but do tehy look a little swollen to?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  5. PrinceSandwich

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    Quote:I don't think he goes crazy when i touch them, but maybe he also has a bit of frostbite like theDuckCrew said, so that he lost some feeling in them??

Its like hes lost strength in his legs, so when he walks he has to flap his wings a bit to keep is balance.

6. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    I would just keep him in a pen by himself for a few weeks, preferably inside a barn

7. OhMyItsAndyy

OhMyItsAndyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    West England
    Quite possibly. I guess the most you can do is wait and see?
    If he is able to walk around eat and drink, i'm sure he'll be okay

8. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    That is frostbite. If you're lucky, he'll not get an infection and will live. He may end up losing toes and ending up with just stubs.

9. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:That's exactly what happened with our RIR rooster. [​IMG] Now he just has stubs. He also lost all the points on his comb and both spurs. Poor roo! But he's still alive and pretty healthy today. [​IMG]

10. PrinceSandwich

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    Quote:He can move around OK and eat and drink but If he can never stand up straght and keeps getting a crusty bum he going to keep getting mites isn't he?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by