We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Rooster with lame leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Zizix123, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Zizix123

Zizix123 Chirping

Jun 18, 2018
    I have a white cornish rock cockrell we have had him since a chick and has been doing well with the rest of the flock other chicks where hens so he is now coming into his own and our original rooster which is some kind of American mix breed has been attacking him showing hes the boss back off. Well now not sure from trying to get away or Fonzie the alpha rooster at this time hurt him but Foghorn is limping and will not put any weight on his right foot and his foot seems warmer which makes me think infection. Any advice on what I can do I have had Foghorn isolated for 3 days and no improvement. Also was thinking splint and amoxicillin if that is safe. Can't find a vet that will look at a chicken. Thanks in advance for any advice and help.

2. MomJones

MomJones Songster

Feb 22, 2019
    South Carolina
    Hi Zizi. Love the nickname. I'm sorry to hear young Foghorn is hurting. If he's eating and drinking ok I'd lean more towards injury rather than infection. A warmer area where the injury occurred is totally normal-- extra heat around a swollen tendon or pulled muscle for instance, means the body is working extra hard to heal itself. So I'd go with the following:
    a) soak in him in an epsom salt bath
    b) dry, then wrap the leg in a self adhesive stretch bandage and leave on for a day at a time. We keep several rolls of that stuff on hand for ourselves, the dogs, chickens, even our cats. It provides mild compression as well as support. And you don't need a lot of it.

You can recheck him once a day and see how the injured area feels. Hope he makes a speedy recovery!

hispoptart likes this.
  3. hispoptart

hispoptart Crowing

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    Do you see any swelling? That might help determine where the injury is. Also can you post a pic of the leg in question? Maybe a video of him trying to walk?

Wyorp Rock and MomJones like this.
  4. Zizix123

Zizix123 Chirping

Jun 18, 2018
    Thanks MomJones,
    Still a rookie here so sorry if this sounds dumb, but are you meaning a splint since I don't know exactly where he is hurt?

5. Zizix123

Zizix123 Chirping

Jun 18, 2018
    I can try and there seems to be a little swelling but not much.

6. hispoptart

hispoptart Crowing

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    Maybe include a pic with both legs so that they can be compared.

7. Zizix123

Zizix123 Chirping

Jun 18, 2018
    Hope this ok

Attached Files:

8. hispoptart

hispoptart Crowing

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    If your trying to upload a video you have to upload it to youtube first and then share a link, if it's pictures then I'm not sure why it's flashing through them.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Does his foot seem to be numb or asleep? Does he put the foot down and try to put weight in it or hold it up, hopping on his good foot, most of the time. How old is he exactly?

Wyorp Rock and hispoptart like this.
  10. Zizix123

Zizix123 Chirping

Jun 18, 2018
    Here are some pics I captured from video I was unable to upload to YouTube the last one is poop I haven't seen and don't know if its normal

Attached Files:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: