Rooster with Laryngitis? *PICTURE*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by willkatdawson, Dec 24, 2008.

1. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    Our Roo started loosing his voice yesterday and today you can see him crowing but all that comes out is a whisper of a crow. He is 23 weeks old and started crowing about 3 weeks ago. He crowed night and day. Has he just over done it, or is something else going on? Also many of the hens and our roo have black spots on their combs. I searched it and it seems from the posts the spots must be scabs. The chickens do freerange almost everyday, but thought I would mention this incase it has something to do with the loss of he crow.

one of the hens with the black spots
    [​IMG]

2. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Her comb looks like its just from the roo mating with her. Is there any symptoms or unusal behavior with the hens lately?

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

She looks healthy. Just a bit of a scrape on the comb. Any other changes in the enviornemnt? Does he just not try? or does nothing come out. Anything stuck in his throat? I find my roo rarely crows now he's top and it's just him and his girls.

4. chookee

chookee New Egg

Dec 24, 2008
    could it be from a viral infection...which might lead to pnemonia???

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  5. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    [​IMG] May not be the same with chooks, but when our Jezebel was a kitten, we put her in the bathroom when we went to work. She cannot meow, just kind of goes 'aaawk', very softly. Vet said she strained her vocal cords, and never recovered. She is 12 years old, and can growl but not meow.

I wish a couple of my roos would do that...... [​IMG]

Cheri

Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  6. ddeans

ddeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    bump[

7. willkatdawson

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    Quote:Yes, he does try to crow. You can see him stand like he does when he crows and then a tiny whisper of a crow can be heard if you're standing right by him. It's so sad. If he were a person I would tell him to rest his voice but, being a roo he just keeps on trying. I don't know if it will ever get better. I was in hopes someone else in the forum had seen this before and could offer some hope.
    Thanks

8. willkatdawson

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    no one else has ever had a rooster lose its voice?

9. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    I did twice. The first roo I ever got, got sick shortly after I brought him home. He lost his voice completely, then died. Not to scare you, he had to have been sick when I got him. The 2nd lost his voice, was healthy, I gave him about 3 days worth of VetRx doses right down his throat. He crows now. Worked for me!!! Hope that was helpful!!

10. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Not sounding great, I have a little pullet named Kathleen that went through the raspy voice, hence the name from Kathleen Turner, but it is Mycoplasma G. This has become a very common thing that is contagious from hen to egg, bird to bird through water/feed and most hatcheries do not test for it and they come exposed to it, so they show no new signs.
    Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by