1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster with leg mites and blood from legs. (pics)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jferlisi, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Ok so this past weekend my BiL got a red frizzled cochin bantam from a feed store. He was suppossed to be 6 months old but i dont think so. He is going thru a full on molt right now. So right now he has a few problems. I have been treating him for scaly legs, which i have been soaking his legs in warm soapy water, and then covering them with vaseline. I have looked him over and he has red soars on his legs which i figured were from his feathers trying to grow in over his dried nasty legs. So his back doesn't have the red soars or anything but tonight when i was cleaning him i noticed he has them all over his chest and underneath him. Tonight when i put the chickens up he was on top of his box and seemed fine. Well i went out there about 15-20 minutes ago to check on a broodie and he has blood all over his legs and there was blood all over the box. I looked to see if he had pooped out blood but he didn't have blood on any feathers around his vent. I cleaned up his legs and couldn't find the source of the bleeding. He has been eating and drinking fine and there is fresh poop on the box that has no blood in it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Oh that poor guy. He's probably been either pulling feathers out or rubbing them against something and causing them to fall out and that'll make them bleed. I imagine it's incredibly itchy to him. I'd give him 3 or 4 drops of Ivomec on the skin on his head also. Ivomec isn't good for much but it's great for mites.

3. BamaSilkies

BamaSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    He probably itchy all over so could the blood be from blood feather he picked out. The blood looks kinda watery(thin) looking so blood feather would be my guess. I might use neosporin on his legs and maybe give him some canned catfood to eat (the fish kind) just for a couple of days as treat. The fish oil will help with the dry itchy skin or you can use some other kind oil just not the cheap cooking oil. (maybe coconut oil in some oatmeal which is also good for itchy skin)

4. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I am going to guess that maybe one of the sores burst open and drained. That would be a good thing. I would guess that the little guy had been kept in a very small cage, and had been sitting in his own waste for sometime. I am happy that he is in a much better chicken home. Best wishes on his recovery. I would use 0.5 ml of Eprinex, if you can get some. Epirnex will kill both the mites and worm him.

5. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    I searched for broken feathers and couldn't find any. Where would i get eprinex?

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I recommend that you purchase "Nu-Stock" at your feed store and slather it on his feet and legs (it comes in a plastic tube, shake it well.) Slather it on his roost as well. Repeat twice a week til healed...shouldnt take long. Continue feeding him regular feed, no supplements.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by