Rooster with limp?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tilly-Remi, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Tilly-Remi

Tilly-Remi New Egg

Aug 22, 2011
    At the end of last week, I noticed our 3 year old EE Rooster was limping when he ran. It hasn't gotten any better, so I've isolated him in a crate with food and water. I looked over his feet/legs to see if there was bumblefoot/mites/etc., and I'm reasonably sure that's not the issue. When he walks, it seems like his legs suddenly splay out at the top like going in and out of joint or something. He's been quite active chasing the hens lately, but didn't run around much yesterday (and of course none today). Am I doing the right things? Any other ideas?

Thank you so much, he's a wonderful rooster: protective of the hens and gentle with us.

2. Chickadee55

Chickadee55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    Central Florida
    I think it's a good idea to let him get some rest so he won't make it worse.
    Last night while I was cleaning our coop, the door slammed on my roos foot. I can't tell you how upset he was and I felt so so bad for him. After the scream, I swear he cried!!![​IMG] He held it up most of the night but I did see him limp then walk then limp again. One of his toes was skinned up a little and I was afraid if I picked him up right after it happened, I would only make him madder at me.

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

You are doing good, keep him still and quiet. Put some vitamins in his water incase he has a vitamin def going on. When was he last wormed.... As worms can weaken them and make it hard to stand.

4. Tilly-Remi

Tilly-Remi New Egg

Aug 22, 2011
    I wormed them last fall. He wasn't happy separate from the hens, so I've kept them in the coop/run for the past few days (usually free range, so no one is happy). It seems like his knee joints keep going in and out of socket? He's been really active chasing the hens around up until this point, so I'm at a loss. I'm giving vitamins in the water now as well and have done a top to bottom clean of the coop. He's eating, drinking, crowing, and trying to catch the hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by