Rooster with mating problems?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by StephensonC, Dec 12, 2014.

1. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    So, I have a 15 month old RIR rooster with 16 hens. He has been doing his job fertilizing all the eggs for many months now. However, in the last 2 weeks, only a few eggs here and there are fertile all of a sudden. I know it sounds crazy, but I started watching him to observe his mating efforts. He seems to "try", but is having a hard time balancing. Once balanced, he tries to initiate the final contact, but doesn't quite make it and then jumps off. Is anyone familiar with this type of issue? Also, he has never been aggressive in the past, but since this mating thing has started, he is showing minor aggression toward me.

He doesn't appear to be sick or injured. He has no signs or symptoms other than the mating issue. But, maybe I'm missing something. Any thoughts and ideas would be great.

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
    3 people like this.
  3. StephensonC

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    Thank you so much! This is a lot of valuable information!!! I am fairly new to all this and just learning as I go. This is INCREDIBLE!! I love to learn all that I can, especially if it pertains to my chickens, so I will be evaluating this, one by one, dissecting every detail. You can be sure that you haven't wasted your time in replying, and in so much detail. It is greatly appreciated. In reference to your question about the eggs being "truly" fertile, yes, I have 14 of their eggs in the incubator on day 20 currently. All were alive when candling at lockdown. I did remove some clears early on, but they belonged to another rooster and hen that are kept separate. So, none of the eggs from the questionable rooster were clears.

So, with all that being said, you have given me something to keep me busy today, instead of staring at the darn incubator all day, waiting for something to happen...lol

Thanks again, and I may have more questions, once I start looking more into this. Is it crazy to be this excited about learning something new?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  4. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    You're very welcome. I hope you find out what's going on soon, and let us know how it goes. There sure are a lot of possibilities to cover and things to learn. :)

I think enjoying learning is very natural and it's unfortunate how many people lose that joy. Always a good thing when you're still keen on learning new things.

Best wishes and good luck.

5. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Just wanted to say a big 'thank you' to @chooks4life for such a thorough, interesting and thought-provoking response.

I am not having rooster issues myself (lord knows Georgie is doing his best to set some sort of mating record here!) but I found your whole post extremely educational. What a delight to read such a well considered response.

- Krista

6. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Likewise, I too found your extensive response extremely informative. Many thanks for sharing your knowledge of the subject in such depth. I am also not having poultry fertility problems, but much of the info you posted has been mentally stored for future reference.

7. Amina

Amina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    Is the rooster molting? They become less fertile during that time.

8. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Glad it's been useful for you guys. :)

Best wishes.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  10. StephensonC

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    [​IMG] I totally get your sense of humor!! I'm actually waiting for it to warm up a little outside, so I can go do that. lol

He isn't molting, but that is an interesting fact that I had not thought about. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by