Rooster with multiple personality disorder

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cupman, Oct 5, 2011.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I have a rooster who is the weirdest guy in the world. In the morning when I let him and the hens out of the run he is very aggressive, likes to stand in your path and get ready to spar. He also tries to mate with all the hens like a maniac, gets aggressive with them. By afternoon the rooster is pretty calm and later in the day he's friendly, curious, walks right up to you with no signs of aggression whatsoever. I am just curious what might be causing this... I was thinking maybe the fact he is trying to mate with the hens might make him more aggressive, trying to keep me away, but wasn't sure. Any ideas?

2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Mine do the same thing. When I let them out, they are all hormones and LOOK OUT girls.
    Afterwards, everything is just fine. Poor girls.

3. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    hormonal, I am guessing he is young right?
    I lock my roosters up separate at night and let everybody else out first, to run around and flap, then the roosters can come out, one at a time, most dominent first. That way everyone has put a little distance between all, and roos are more interested in going to find the flock than assault me. Once they are out, with their segregated flocks, all settles to normalcy.
    Lock em up and they soon learn, you are an ally, the one who opens the door

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

When my flock was smaller, Carl, the dominant rooster, used to come out the pop door first and then proceed to mount every hens she exited. He probably got one out of every three.

He was younger then, now that he's two years old, he is much more selective and will even let some of the ladies say "No" to his attentions. There are plenty more hens and pullets now, so he has a lot of options. But he's pretty much slowed down.

5. hudsonhousechicks

hudsonhousechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Austin
    My roo is most aggressive in the morning. He tears out of the coop and chases down a girl. He's not happy until he catches one. Then he calms down.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yep, testosterone levels are always highest in the early morning. I don't really know if that is fact or not just read it somewhere. [​IMG]

7. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    Mine do this, too. They like the lady's first thing in the morning. [​IMG]

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yeah, they wake up all horny and ready to get some. The way they go at it, it's no wonder they're more mellow later. Gets rid of that testosterone poisoning that built up all night. My husband keeps trying to convince me he's a rooster lol.

9. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I don't see the problem. I'm the same way. Wild in the morning and pushover in the evenings.[​IMG]

10. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I noticed this as well! It's my 1 year old silkie roo I bought 2 weeks ago that does this. He dances around them and kicks up the shavings. Sometimes pecking them. I thought he just wasn't a morning chicken XD But what rooster isn't a morning chicken anyway? Isn't that their favourite time of day [​IMG]

He is much more laid back after 10am

Glad to hear it's normal!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by