1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ROOSTER WITH NO EYE

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ken facemire, Mar 29, 2009.

1. ken facemire

ken facemire Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    Manchester
    My rooster has gotten his eye pecked and popped what do I do it is shut and started to swell alittle bit what do I do.

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I would get vet care if you can, if you can't, I would put him on some oral antibiotics to eliminate any secondary infection that may set in. You can usually get terramycin (oxytetracycline) from most feed stores. Give 2 Tbls per gallon of water for 10 days. I would not do anything to the eye itself. He of course will be blind in that one but he should do fine without it. Make sure he eats and drinks.

3. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    You might also clean it with saline solution intended for contact lens use. Don't use regular eyedrops, because they usually have preservatives in them. You might also give him some aspirin. 1 1/4 aspirin to 1 qt water. The swelling should subside in a day or so. He'll probably end up with some lovely shades of black and blue and yellow as he begins to heal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by