Rooster with Nodules on Face, Wattles and Comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rodriguezpoultry, Jan 21, 2012.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I have a male, 1 year, 2 months old. Has been completely healthy his entire life. He lives in a coop with 4 females. There are 4 other pens of birds, all inside of a locked barn. I picked him up today as I noticed a tiny bit of frostbite on the tips of his comb. I look at him very closely every day so this was odd to me, but it had been very cold (9* at night).

As I picked him up, I noted pustules/nodules on his face and wattles. I immediately thought "Fowl Pox". Thing is, the flock is completely closed, no introduction of birds to the barn in at least 2 months. I noticed an injury of a hen in a different pen, but no other birds show any nodules, none are coughing, none are sneezing, wheezing...nothing.

Is it possible it's a result of an allergic reaction to a different type of shavings? Could it be from rubbing his face against wire? From water splashing on his face and freezing? The nodules are on only one side of his face. He shows no other symptoms and is healthy, eating well and breeding everything in sight.

Any ideas? He is in quarantine until I am comfortable with his condition being simply a slight injury.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    My first thought was fowl pox as well, but since you live in Pa, too cold for mosquitos. A pic would help.

3. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Trust me...there's mosquitoes, just not right now! Just got 6" of snow! haha!

I'll try to get some tomorrow. Too cold and dangerous to go up there now.

4. ILOVELEGHORNS

ILOVELEGHORNS Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Sounds like Fowl pox to me...

5. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Fowl pox is still happening, even here in NY. Had to put down a hen a few weeks ago with both wet and dry pox. No new introductions, must have been a skeeter left behind during the brief warmups. =( No signs of pox in any others, but it was unmistakeable as fowl pox.

6. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Even with no other symptoms, no other birds showing symptoms and the nodules showing up overnight? He is quarantined. How do I treat him?

7. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    My bird had slowly developing lesions but it really just looked like minor peck injuries until one day lesions everywhere, very sudden.

From everything I have heard if it's just dry pox it will go away in a few weeks. Watch for lesions that go into the eyes or prevent eating. Some use betadine but it didnt help my girl. She also had wet pox, which is down in the throat so hard to eat or breathe...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

8. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Got some pics this evening. Definite swelling around his eye. He's developed more on the other side of his face. Please pardon my Shih Tzu. [​IMG]

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Yep. Fowl pox. It can cause swelling around the eyes. Looks like a little frostbite on the tips of his comb too.

10. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Nope, already checked that out. Apparently more nodules. *sigh*

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by