Rooster with pale comb? Help please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Fluffychicky, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Fluffychicky

Fluffychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Sophia, NC
    [​IMG]

Here is napoleon as you can see his comb and wattles have shriveled (first picture was taken 2 weeks ago the second picture was taken tonight). He has no discharge and no lice or mites (he was just dusted and thoroughly checked) and I haven't noticed any odd poops. He acts just fine, steals every bit of food he can, raises his hackles every now and then and runs a lot. I have noticed in the past week and a half he hasn't crowed (that I have noticed) and his comb has three very small scabs on them but they look like peck marks and he did recently get in a tussle with my other rooster. None of my other chickens are exhibiting any strange behaviors. I'm very worried about him, because I just don't understand what is wrong. He is growing in his adult feathers so maybe that is taking a toll? I really don't want this to be anything serious I love my babies and I work so hard to keep them in good health. Can someone help me?

2. leetfreq925

leetfreq925 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Ipswich, MA
    How is napoleon doing? If he's still feeling ill, you should try a chicken spa with a nice warm epsom salt bath :
    http://hencam.com/faq/the-spa-treatment/
    otherwise, maybe he ate something funky that's making him feel sick. I hope he's feeling better for you...

3. mithious

mithious Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you looked into fowl pox? Also, once their immune systems are compromised, things like cocci can become a problem as a secondary issue. Just some thoughts...poor dear..he looks so miserable [​IMG] The scabs could be pecking, as a sick bird will tend to be picked on more...fowl pox can start on the head/comp though...any sores in other places? If I were you, I would research fowl pox and cocci also...hope you get to the bottom of this soon poor guy!!!!

4. Fluffychicky

Mar 26, 2013
    Sophia, NC
    Thank you both for your concern. I don't believe it's fowl pox and from what I can tell his poo is normal ( >///> I followed him around until he did his business) Many people suggested worms so I'm de-worming and bought some rooster booster. He doesn't act sick but he doesn't look good.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  6. Fluffychicky

Mar 26, 2013
    Sophia, NC
    Oh I hope that's not what he has T^T nothing seems weird with his body though and i watched him today he acted like a normal chicken...he's such a beautiful rooster I don't want to have him put down, but I really don't want him infecting my flock. I'm going to give it until September if he hasn't improved I will take him to a vet and find out what's wrong and make a decision from there.

7. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Are your birds on a regular deworming program? If not that's sure where I'd start, he could easily be carrying a heavy parasite load. Use something effective, like Valbazen, not just Wazine.

8. Fluffychicky

Mar 26, 2013
    Sophia, NC
    Today was the first time I've wormed them so I'm hoping to see some improvement. I used Fenbendazole

9. DragonOxeWeasel

DragonOxeWeasel Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    How is he doing now?
    My beloved rooster seems to have the same issue. I just thought he was starting to molt at first but I have yet to see any actual molting action.

10. Fluffychicky

Mar 26, 2013
    Sophia, NC
    It was worms he perked up after the second round of worming, unfortunately I lost him about a month later to disease from a flea market chicken

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by