Rooster with pneumonia?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Greg, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Greg

Greg Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2007
    Hi all, need some suggestions.

I have a large Polish Rooster that I'm afraid has pneumonia. noticed this afternoon that he gurlges when breathing and sneezed, he also has very small, runny poo. I went to the Farm store and the owner suggested the medicated crumbles. they have an antibiotic in them. Told me to seperate the Roo and give him that mixed with his regular feed 2 to 1. He said that if he isn't better by Tuesday then we'd start the water soluble anti biotic. I have never given a shot before to anything so I opted for this method.

my question is this: Is there anything else I should be doing to help him?

also, i don't know how old this Roo is as I inherited him after the death of my wifes aunt a month ago. I do know from family members that he hasn't ever been sick before.

I know this may sound strange, but my Granny died of congestive heart failure and it sounded almost the same as this Roo when he breathes.

greg

2. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    He may just have a congestion problem. What I do is to put ACV, Apple Cider Vinegar, with the mother in their water. The most common brand of ACV is Bragg which can be found in most heath food stores and some groceries. This vinegar is not as processed as the vinegar found in stores, it has the mother which is sediment from the apple itself which has not been processed out and it has much greater health benefits than regular vinegar. I give one or two tablespoons to a gallon of water. What it does is to help breakup the congestion and the bird is better able to eliminate it and it also helps with recovery. And, to my knowledge, it will not interfere with any meds you may chose to give him.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  3. Greg

Greg Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2007
    Update-

have another Roo with the same thing now. I'll be getting it out and in with the other sick one tonight. seems like it might me contagious. what might it be?

gw

4. Greg

Greg Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2007
    just thought of something, these two sick Roos both like to sleep outside. wondering if it might not be a cold, but the first one isn't doing any better yet. any ideas on what else to try?

gw

5. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    medicated feed does not have antibiotics in it, it has a cocci oral vaccine in it called ampalorum. u need tylan injections or terramycin for the waterer. acv is an antibacterial prevenative, it will help a secondary infection from starting but not the main one.

gurgleing is usually a respitory sign and sneezing is signusitis. it also could be a sign of something worse, u just caught early. if u use water suluable treat entire flock, injections just the ones showing signs.

is the eyes wattery, bubbleing, r they stretching necks to breathe? do they look crusty in eyes or signus, is there mucas in the mouth? yellow plaque in the mouth at all and if so where? combs paler and flopping over? r they depressed looking kinda mopeing around? any eye swelling? do u notice any other signs at all u can think of?

definately quarentein any showing signs and use good biosecurity and start those 2 on antibiotics imediately. without knowing more symptoms i can't narrow the field down more. respitory infections r highly contagous amongst birds. if u have babies in with ur flock seperate and brood immediately and watch them for signs.

if u need help with anything pm me,
    silkie

6. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    Some feeds contain Bacitracin to help control CRD and Enteritis

7. Greg

Greg Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2007
    Still no change, but did start the terramycin today for the whole flock. keep your fingers crossed for me.

gw

8. OHChick

OHChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    have you considered that it might be CRD ? symptoms are similar to what mine had when they had it. i have too many birds to inject, so i did water soluable Tylan. but since you know which two are sick, you might try injecting it. do a search here on CRD and CUDAs site should come up, he has the dosing info.

good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by