rooster with puffed up face! HELP! (UPDATE: we culled him :( )

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tinychicky, May 20, 2011.

1. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    my 3 year old mix roo's face is all puffed up and his eye is swollen shut! there are no other symptoms. i've heard of this before... is there a treatment? i'll add more info if you need it... thanks in advance, everyone.

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  2. tinychicky

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    does anyone know [​IMG]

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Maybe sinus infection. Is he sneezing? I had a silkie mix roo that got a sinus infection one side of his face under his eye was swollen. It can make their eye swell shut too. I gave him Duramyin for 7 days.

4. tinychicky

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    no he has no other syptoms and is acting normally. both eyes are puffy, but only one is swollen totally shut. i pulled it open and it's only filled with air...

5. tinychicky

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    his eye is open today, but still slitted. he was crowing when i left, so he's still acting normally. anyone know what's wrong with him?

6. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    This sounds like it might be fowl pox.

7. tinychicky

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    hmmm okay. treatment?

8. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

tinychicky

With a swollen eye, you may also look for eye worm info. I have been researching this for about 2-weeks now. Vet Rx poultry remedy is one medication for it.

9. rooster lover 119

rooster lover 119 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    can you give us some pics?

10. tinychicky

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    okay, i'll get some pics tomorrow. i just checked on him. both his eyes are swollen shut and his face is puffy. he was really thirsty when i dipped his beak in the water, not sure how to get him to eat. he can't see at all, i think, i'm a worried he'll starve if he can't find food. i feel really overwhelmed, i'd only lost one bird in four years of poultry keeping, and then now, in my fifth year, everything is hitting me all at once. my flock all has cocci (they're all on corid right now), they did have worms, one rooster got a badly infected leg, a chick was born with decreased muscle density, two roosters were ripped up by a dog last week and i've lost six birds in less than a year so far, three in just this past week. fowl pox or eye mites or whatever is really the last thing i need right now. i don't think i have poor biosecurity; i clean the coops every 3-4 weeks, change food and water every day and clean out the containers once a month, i always quarentine new birds for three weeks minimum, i change clothes and wash hands if i go between other peoples coops and i check my chickens daily for any sign of illness. why is all this happening at once!?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by