Rooster with raw spots on legs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cluckcluck42, Apr 9, 2010.

1. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Songster

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Okay almost a month ago I bought a french black copper maran roo and some hens. They all had a lot of feathers missing and have been molting since they got here. I noticed today the roo has raw spots on his legs where the feathering is, its not bloody but very pink and raw. His legs have new feathers coming in, I assume the rawness may be because of this but I wanted to post a thread and see if it could be anything else and what can I do about it?? Thanks!

1) What type of bird , age and weight. french BCM rooster, about a year old and about 8 pounds or so, not sure.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. No change in behaviour
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Just noticed the rawness today
    4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
    5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Molting?
    6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Eating his hens layers crumbles, scratch, BOSS, treats, etc.
    7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Not sure
    8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Nothing so far
    9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Treat myself
    10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. I cna take a pic tomorrow.
    11) Describe the housing/bedding in use Pine shavings in a chain link coop with a roof and big coop inside for shelter.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  2. dappertophatter

dappertophatter Songster

Mar 1, 2008
    The Jersey Shore
    Does it hurt if you touch it? Otherwise, it's proably just new feet feathers coming in- my Cochins hate to be picked up buring a heavy molt.
    OH- could be mites. Check your boy over carefully. Are his feet scales all ugly and crusty and lumpy? Could be scaly leg.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  3. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Songster

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    I will check him closely tomorrow and see if I can touch it, I havent really handled him all that much. What should I be looking for if I am looking for mites or anything? The other birds legs look fine, by the way, they are Welsummers.

4. dappertophatter

dappertophatter Songster

Mar 1, 2008
    The Jersey Shore
  5. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Songster

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Here is a picture of him. I have no idea what scaly leg mites look like. This pic was taken before the redness but you can kind of see his legs.

[​IMG]

6. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Songster

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Quote:Sorry the roo is a maran, the hens are Welsummers and their legs look just fine. Thats why I figured it must be related to his molting.

Thanks for the links. I dont think he has mites but I am going out to look again now that I have seen some pics of what they look like!

7. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Songster

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Took me forever to upload on dial up but here are his legs! They look less raw then when I saw them a few hours ago.

[​IMG]

8. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Songster

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    I dont think it looks like mites.

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Looks to me like someone's been pecking at his feather shanking, and just pulling out feathers? Perhaps something irritated him and he started pulling and preening at the feathers?

10. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Songster

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Quote:Could be, I am going to watch them all closely, I *think* he has the same amount of feathers on his feet. He didnt seem bothered and I watched him for a good 30 minutes after discovering his legs raw but who knows.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: