Rooster with red vent and missing feathers

ChickenFan123

Hatching
Jan 26, 2022
Hello!

Thank you for reading and any advice you can provide!

I inherited 10 chickens from the previous owner of my new house. I am a first timer, so any insight is valuable!

Heres a photo of our roosters butt!
chicken vent.jpg

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
- male rooster (there is another bigger dominant male) about 6 months old. He seems about 3 pounds.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
- he seems normal. we have seen a hen picking feathers from his vent.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
- we just noticed, but we've had the chickens for only a week!
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
- no other birds have the same symptom
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
- see photos. that's all
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
- is this MITES or just hens pecking? How to address this?
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
- all birds have been eating organic layer feed supplemented by greens and seeds. Neighbor keeps giving them bread, but the roosters don't go across the yard. They seem very interested in eggshells, but not that into the oyster shells.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
- some hens have diarrhea, but we have not noticed it from this rooster.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
- I just sprayed him with poultry protector (manna brand) in case it was mites. That's why is vent looks a bit wet.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
- we would like to treat ourselves.
11) Describe the housing/bedding in use
- we just renovated the old coop. The chickens were all sleeping in nesting boxes. They are now on roosting bars with deep litter below (still training a few hens to use the bar instead of sleeping on the ground).

Thank you!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom