Rooster with Respiratory issues

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cowdad, Mar 22, 2017.

1. cowdad

cowdad Just Hatched

Mar 22, 2017
    Hi! We're new from RI and have a rooster who's doing terrible! Thought he may have respiratory infection so I read all the posts I could and have given him 2 injections of Tylan 50 yesterday and last night. He looked so much better this morning. His breathing improved dramatically, waddle turn from a dark purple back to a bright red and he was eating on his own. Gave him another injection this morning, Checked him early afternoon and seemed good. Just came to check again and comb turned color and his breathing is labored. Doesn't seem to have anything caught in his throat that I can see but that's all I can think of. Been giving him water with electrolytes and some yogurt. It's just terrible. He breaths are so labored and then he squaks like trying to scream. Anyone have any ideas?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you bring him inside in a crate where you can make sure he is warm and watch him? How much does he weigh and how much Tylan are you using? Tylan 50 can be given 1/2 ml for every 2 1/2 pounds of weight 2-3 times a day. It can be given as an injection into the breast muscle or orally, and some give it under the skin in the back of the neck. I would look inside his beak and throat with a light to check for any growths or yellow patches. Make sure that he is drinking. Adding a lot of water to a small bowl of feed can hlep. Vitamins and electrolytes in the water are also good. I hope he starts getting better.

3. cowdad

cowdad Just Hatched

Mar 22, 2017
    Yes. I brought him inside last night so he's warm. I've been injecting 1/2 ml each time into breast. Just gave him injection tonight. (Just 2x's a day). I did look in beak and down throat can't see anything but I did feel a small grape sized thing under wattle that moves when he swallows. I tried to look up online anatomy of throat and couldn't tell if that should be there or not. I will soak feed. Thank you very much!

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I can't say if that is normal or not, even though I have had a few roosters. They have all been rather unwilling to be looked over closely, so I just haven't noticed it before. Is he a full size grown rooster? They can easily weigh 10 pounds or more. You can give a 10 pounder up to 2 ml, and you can split part of the dose given in a shot and part given orally. When his comb has been dark purple, what color is his comb?

5. cowdad

cowdad Just Hatched

Mar 22, 2017
    Ok. Thanks. I'll weigh him and see. He's looks full grown just 1 year old. We guessed he was under 5 lbs but maybe not. His comb is normally a bright red. He's a RI Red, but when his breathing is so labored we see the color drop right out and it looks dull purplish/grey. He looked so good this morning, it's just crazy that he's bouncing back and forth from looking so good and eating on his own to looking so bad and not interested in food. Thanks again we appreciate your thoughts!!

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You can hold him while weighing both of you, and subtract your weight. That is an estimate, but it gives an idea. A kitchen or postal scale can be used for an exact weight, but a ballpark figure is okay. The color changes in his comb sound like he might a heart problem or that his respiratory proble is pretty serious. Dehydration could also be a problem, so getting him to drink with a small bowl or spoon to his beak or a dropper can get some fluids into him. Tube feeding can also be donsidered. There is a good thread on learning to tube feed with videos called "Go team tube feeding" by doing a search at the top of the page.

7. cowdad

cowdad Just Hatched

Mar 22, 2017
    He weighs approximately 6lbs. So I did give him another 1/2ml of Tylan 50 tonight. I've been giving him about 10 - 15ccs of water with electrolytes through a syringe just about every time I check on him as well as a spoonful of Greek yogurt. My thoughts about his color were like yours. He's still strong, but my heart breaks to see him with such labored breathing. Fingers crossed we'll see some positive changes tomorrow and I'll up my dose of Tylan to 1ml.

8. cowdad

cowdad Just Hatched

Mar 22, 2017
    You mentioned yellow patches in throat in your earlier post. He does have patches on both sides of his throat. What could that be?

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yellow patches can be a sign of pus and infection. They can be common in some respiratory diseases from bacteria or even viruses, and can be found in canker, a protozoan infection in the oral cavity which can block the airway. I would keep looking in there to notice if it is growing. Fungal infections from mold can also cause these patches throughout the air sacs and other parts of the body. Vet care if at all possible can sometimes help. It isn't always available or affordable, and it depends on the experienc of the vet with chickens. Keep us updated on his condition. I like to add chicken feed to a bowl with lots of water to get a sick bird to eat. Most will eat chopped egg also.

10. cowdad

cowdad Just Hatched

Mar 22, 2017
    Wow. This morning it looks like he's got patches on roof of mouth and inside the back or beak. Now what? How should I treat? I gave him one injection this morning. Do I keep him on Tylan? He's still breathing heavy and looks the same no worse, but still awful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by