Rooster with respitatory infection

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by marshallt, Nov 3, 2016.

1. marshallt

marshallt Just Hatched

Nov 3, 2016
    I have a rooster that has been very sick for 3 days. I started giving him shots of Tylan 50 two days ago. He isn't better but he isn't worse. Both eyes are swollen shut and he has very labored breathing. He isn't eating or drinking. My question is, is it fair to him to keep trying or should we put him down? I don't want him to suffer but he has made it this far. Also, if we keep him alive and he gets over this will I ever be able to put him back with the flock or will he always be a carrier?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Does he have a bad odor around his face? He sounds like he could have coryza or mycoplasma. If your flock has been around him, they could already be carriers. It is up to you how long to treat him, but sometimes respiratory diseases can be complicated by secondary infections. Tylan 50 can be given 1 ml per 5 pounds twice a day for 5 days. A vet might be able to give something stronger and possibly test him. If he dies I would recommend refrigerating his body and sending it to the state vet for a necropsy. That way you will know what disease you are dealing with if any more get sick.

3. marshallt

marshallt Just Hatched

Nov 3, 2016
    I have not noticed an odor. He has a massive amount of junk coming out of his eyes and mouth though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by