Rooster with scratched eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wooklet, Jul 15, 2010.

1. wooklet

wooklet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Tasmania
    Hi, I got a new rooster yesterday, took him out of the car in his cage to put in his quarantine pen, and the phone rang. I put him and cage down on the ground and when I came back from the call another of the roosters was attacking him through the bars of the cage, his comb is bloodied, but his eye seems to have been scratched as he keeps closing it, and I noticed today that it has a yellow discharge coming out of the corner. As eyes are so delicate I wondered what I can use on it to help heal it and overcome any possible infection.
    Thank you.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Never having dealt with this type of injury, I'm giving your thread a *bump* with the hope that you will get the answer you need. [​IMG]

3. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    Drops of combi-pen. (dura-pen, BP-48) or penicillin eye drops for people works too. Myself i would give him a 1/2 cc injection of Durapen.

4. chickenGRAFFITI

chickenGRAFFITI Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2009
    I would contact the chicken Dr (Peter Brown) at first state vet supply online and get an eye ointment. He helped me out with a Roo's eye issue.

5. wooklet

wooklet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Tasmania
    Thank you everyone. I am actually in Australia, but I managed to get an anti biotic ointment for him and will see how he goes over the next few days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by