Rooster with slipped tendon`what to do

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by justplainbatty, Dec 20, 2014.

1. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    There are no bird vets near me, I live in Emmett MI. I don't like the normal notion of just kill it. Is there anyone near me that could help me fix/rehabilitate my boy? He is full grown so leg is getting worse. In spite of his limping and pain he still gets it on with hens and the other two roos don't beat him up. He doesn't deserve to die just because he is disabled. I know I can give aspirin but am unsure how to pop tendon back into place. The leg faces outward. I mean if I absolutely can't help him I would consider putting him down but I would like to give him a chance. Any suggestions or experienced help nearby?

2. fuzzybutt love

fuzzybutt love Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Michigan
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  3. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    To put it back in. Hold him on your lap and gently pull the injured leg back behind him until its in the position that if he were laying down the injured leg would be laying out behind him. Then gently slip the tendon back into place. There is also a thread about slipped tendon in the peafowl forum.

4. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    thanks everyone. I will read all the links plus the instructions posted and give it a try. Wish me luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by