Rooster with small amount of frostbite

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jbrajdich, Dec 12, 2016.

1. jbrajdich

jbrajdich Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2016
    Hi all!

Went out to the chicken coop this evening and my rooster developed what appears to be a spot of frostbite on his comb within the last few hours. They are in an insulated coop and he did go outside for the first time in a few days for a short time.. but we're in northern Wisconsin and our low for today was -4. :(

He is eating treats - and still mating with the hens so he doesn't feel too bad.

Thoughts on what to do now so that it gets better sooner than later?

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    It should slowly fade away and get better.High temperature changes are very bad for them.If it spreads more cut the infected area off.

3. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  4. jbrajdich

jbrajdich Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2016
    Thank you!

It seems to have spread a little more in the last day.. I'm wondering if the coop doesn't have sufficient ventilation. It's -20 here now and I don't have the windows in the coop open. Any idea if a fan would help move enough air around or if I need holes in the roof??

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Moisture rises.....Upper vents are needed......Vaseline on his comb and wattles will help to prevent frost bite......

Cheers!

6. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Agree,Moisture is the number one cause of frostbite.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by