Rooster with stiff legs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bluedawg, Sep 20, 2011.

1. bluedawg

bluedawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Croton on Hudson
    My Roo is about 1.5 years. He has always walked with a slightly stiff gate. I thought that was just the way Roosters walked but my friend stopped by and said he walked funny. One morning about a month ago He did not come out with the hens. He stayed in all day. It was a rainy day so I didn't think too much of it. The next day however I picked him up off the roost and put him down and he then went out with the others. He ate and drank but his gate looked stiffer than usual. I hoped it would pass but for the past few weeks I have been putting him up in the evening and taking him down in the morning. I watched him try to jump up to the outdoor roost and it took him several tries. Sometimes he lies down outside and puts his head down and everything and I think... Oh my that's it he's going. Then he jumps up and gets a snack and a drink and hobbles around some more. Last night I put him up and during the night he fell off the perch (I heard him fall from inside the house) I went out to see what happened and he was lying on the floor in the straw... head down looking up at me. I left him there because I didn't want to put him up and have him fall again so it seamed the best place for him. I have eight hens and they are all fine. Today he was out and about with the hens though he did perch with his head hanging down and occasionally laid down flat out with this head down. I don't know what to do for him. There doesn't seam to be any vets around here that see chickens. I'll call tomorrow and see if I can get anymore info. out of my vet than he gave me last time. In the mean time I thought I'd check here and see if anyone here has any ideas?

2. bluedawg

bluedawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Croton on Hudson
    Update on Roo... Today he was looking mighty chipper. I think he may pull through this. Gave him a dose of Eprinex. Haven't seen anything to make me think parasites but I just want to be sure. I had thought Mareks but now I don't know since he seamed so much better today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by