Rooster with Swollen Wattles

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Faverolle Lover, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Faverolle Lover

Faverolle Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2016
    Idaho, US
    I have a 6 month old cockerel polish with really swollen wattles. My guess is frostbite because it has been really cold here in Idaho with record snowfall. I read in another forum to put Neosporin on them but I wanted more advice just in case. I have him now in my garage and he's acting fine, even crowing. Here's a picture of them.[​IMG]
    He is also very big for his age so the other roster picks on him sometimes so that might be another reason for the swelling if the other roster pecked him and it got infected.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I think it is frostbite, since the bottom of the wattles look tan and discolored. Swelling of wattles can occur with frostbite, in infectious diseases such as coryza and fowl cholera, and from some insect or tick bites. During January and February, we see so many frostbite cases here on BYC. Combs, wattles from drinking water in freezing weather, and frozen toes and feet are too common. The wattles are painful, and do not massage them. Vetericyn is good to use, but I would prefer plain Neosporin or bactracin, since the Vetericyn is fluid and may cause more harm if he is out in the cold. These 2 articles have good info on frostbite treatment:
    http://articles.extension.org/pages/70255/frostbite-in-chickens
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/12/frostbit-in-backyard-chickens-causes.html

[​IMG]
    photo by silkieluver_07 showing frostbite in wattles and comb

3. Faverolle Lover

Mar 18, 2016
    Idaho, US
    Thank you so much, the articles were really helpful

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You're welcome. I have seen some frostbite in a few of my chickens from drinking out of my heated water bowls in winter where their wattles get into the water. The waterer can be raised to try to prevent this, unless like mine, where I have several bantams who are too short. The frostbitten part usually gets rounded off in a few weeks. Give us an update on his condition in a few days.

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Most of my large combed roosters get frostbite. I don't do anything as handling frostbitten tissue can damage it more. I haven't had that didn't heal up. They will look miserable initially, than uncomfortable for a while, eventually they heal and the damaged tissue turns black and falls off. I personally am slowly switching over to smaller combed birds to avoid frostbite in the future in my roosters.

1 person likes this.
  6. Faverolle Lover

Mar 18, 2016
    Idaho, US
    I coated his wattles with neosporin for a couple of weeks and now they're fine!
    He did lose about a centimeter of them though, but what's left looks absolutely normal.

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm glad that he is doing better. Thanks for the update.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by