1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster with tennis ball sized ball on his neck?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by IdahoTom, Feb 20, 2017.

1. IdahoTom

IdahoTom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2016
    Can anyone tell me what this lump is near his head/throat? It's about the size of a tennis ball and looks like an inflated balloon. I found out because he wouldn't get on a perch and he looks lifeless. He stands and seems to be breathing fine but definitely isn't himself. I've never had this happen and everything speaks of lumps on the chest as sourcrop but it seems really high for that? It is on the side of hes neck just under the waddle. Its hard.

As you can see he's had a rough winter...

[​IMG]

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Did he get bit by a snake or somthing?

3. IdahoTom

Mar 13, 2016
    I have not seen a snake on our property in almost 2 years oddly enough. Not to rule it out completely though.

4. eggbert420

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    I live in Texas and the snakes are waking up.
    Is it full of puss? If so you could lance it open and drain it.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Does it feel like air underneath the skin? How exactly does it feel? A leaking air sac from blunt trauma could cause a leaking air sac (subcutaneous emphysema.) If it feels firmer, it could be swelling from a tick bite, or firmer still, possibly an abscess. If it is harder than that, sometimes Mareks disease or other tumors could be possible. A leaking air sac can be treated by inserting an 18 gauge needle just under the skin, and squeezing air out as if emtying an air mattress.

6. IdahoTom

Mar 13, 2016
    This was nothing at all yesterday and I spent a bit of time out in their run with them. It appeared today while I was at work. My wife said the dog was out chasing one of the roosters today so blunt trauma could be a possibility. His neck seems crooked but it could be him compensating for this giant ball on his neck. It is soft about 1/4" on the top and the rest is hard. He makes a weird noise when I rub the top back soft portion of it and makes an odd noise.

Would the hole self seal after lancing or would it need stitches or something similar?

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If it were a leaking air sac, it would be all soft like air under the skin, at least from my experience. If you poke an 18 gauge needle under the skin and push out the air, then you would want to hold some pressure with a finger on the hole for several minutes to seal, then coat with Neosporin. It's possible that he has a hematoma from blood leaking under the skin from an injury if it is firm. Those will leak a bit of blood if they are punctured with a needle. Do you have a vet that you could see in the AM? Is he having any trouble breathing?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  8. IdahoTom

Mar 13, 2016
    To be completely honest...I'm going to state an unpopular opinion here. The rooster is a nameless farm animal and can be replaced cheaper than it would cost to even drive to the vet. I love him like the good rooster he is and will do anything I can do here locally but a vet is out of the question.

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That is not unreasonable since many will probably agree with you. I was just looking back at his picture, and noticed the frostbite on his comb and wattles. Do you think that has anything to do with his swelling? If not, I would probably go ahead and see what happens when you lance it with a needle--if you get air, blood, or pus.

1 person likes this.
  10. eggbert420

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas

I agree non of my animals have ever seen a vet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by