Rooster with thin mucous drool coming out of beak...

givhandy

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 18, 2010
Rydal. Georgia
Homer looked like he didn't feel good last evening.
This morning he has a thin mucous-looking drool hanging out of his beak and he did't come out of the house with the girls.

Any ideas? TIA

In perusing my "Chicken Health Handbook" sinus discharge is linked to a wide variety of bacterial or viral infections. Some are mild and will pass in a few days or a week. Others are severe with high mortality and pose a public health risk.

Without knowing more symptoms it is impossible to speculate what is wrong with Homer. However, I'd isolate him from your laying flock until all symptoms pass and he is back to his regular self. Be sure to look at your other chickens for similar symtoms. That he wasn't with the hens last night raises red flags that he's not feeling well. I've found many animals disappear for a day or a week and then come back with some badly progressed injury, disease, or infection. It seems to be natures way to keep a sick or injured animal away from its home/group to keep that group from harm.

Search on this site and on the internet for chicken respiratory diseases.

Good luck!

I'm sorry to hear your rooster is not doing well. It sounds like a respiratory infection. Check out his link to see if which symptoms listed seem to fit: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

These
are the medicines that are often used for respiratory infections:

Duramycin-10 (tetracycline hydrochloride) – broad spectrum antibiotics for use in chickens and other livestock. See the drug label information for dosage and usage information. When antibiotic treatment is complete, feed plain yogurt or buttermilk to restore good gut flora.

Tylan 50 – labeled for cattle or swine – use to treat bacterial respiratory infections such as coryza or mycoplasma. Dosage is 1/2 – 1 cc per chicken. When antibiotic treatment is complete, feed plain yogurt or buttermilk to restore good gut flora.

Thank you for your help.

Homer seems to be breathing poorly which is likely a respiratory ailment.

He couldn't get back in the house so I put him back in.

Don't think he will make it through the night at this point...
sad.png

Hey! My young rooster drools sometimes, its seethrough and sometimes there are small food bits in there as well. He started doing this maybe a week ago and does it maybe a couple times a day. He seems fine other wise, very energetic. What could it be?

Back
Top Bottom